Sunday, December 21, 2008

Great opportunities at work...

Hi everyone. Im here to update what ive done over the past week at work.

There are 2 things that I would like to share with all. One, I followed my Head of PR and Director of Sales and Marketing to the press to give them hampers in conjunction with Christmas.

From the little outing, I had some insights on the ‘press’ world’ (newspapers agencies). How they function, what they look out for and/or go after for their newspapers. How they liase with businesses to create a ‘win-win’ situation for both parties. Was an interesting outing for me.

The next big thing, well at least for me, was that I was asked to be the MC for a little event for the hotel last Friday! The event is about the ‘Christmas Charity Gingerbread House’ where donors from the public would donate and then they would have their names up on the walls of the gingerbread house. And after that, is the lighting up of the gingerbread house in conjunction with Christmas.

When asked to be the MC, once again, mixed feelings came upon me. On one hand I was thinking of running away from it. But on the other hand, deep down inside of me, I know that this is a very good opportunity to expose myself to such things since I might have to do it in the future. This is like the one and only chance I have during the period of my internship I thought (after all this is what the internship is all about, to expose yourself to the working world). And so I decided to take up the challenge. Everything went well and it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I had a good experience and it’s a good thing that I decided to take it up instead of giving all sorts of excuses and running away from it.

Personally, I feel that when one is being put into such situation, a situation that one side of you is trying to runaway from all these responsibilities because of fear or lack of confidence, but at the same time, the other side of you, wants to rise to the occasion, it really makes you grow mentally! (of course this is when you choose to face it and not runaway from it). im glad that I took up this challenge although I was really nervous about it. The thought of standing in front of the public and press and being MC, it was quite daunting at first but like I said it wasn’t as bad as I imagined it to be. Someone once said this to me and I’ll share it with you all, “Do not dwell on your negative thoughts for it will expand if you do!”

So whatever challenges you guys are facing in your internship, try to face it and take it up if you can. POSITIVELY! BUT within your abilities of course. That’s all from me now :)

No comments: