Sunday, December 21, 2008

Always something to learn

Hi guys,

Ram Anand again.

The past week has been uneventful because my manager is on a Christmas leave with her family, but I still come to work everyday even though I know very well I will have virtually nothing to do. I have tasks fixed to me, but I will be unable to get confirmation and start on them until my manager comes, so pretty much a silent period. But on second thoughts, all the best advise ever given on the PR front to me made sense this past week. There is no 'off' button for PR. There is always, always something out there to learn.

I spent this past week reading and blogging without stop, and despite being only an intern, I was able to discuss and discover what people think about MS. Now I feel like asking my manager's permission to write a complete SWOT analysis of MS. Which obviously makes little sense or is not part of the workscope, but its just what occured to me when I want to leverage my thoughts. Microsoft has many divisions and there is always something to learn about the organization further and further- some points to make and review. Its a constant process, and I simply didn't find time to rest on my laurels despite my apparent 'nothingness'.


I now have a burning urge, an urge to be contributive. Works don't arrive on a platter and we have to prove our worth in this case. I am pushing the issue to give ideas and leave an impression. It is generally hard because MS is full of so many professionals and telented brainstormers, given that it is such a big organization. It is all too easy to feel intimdated when they are discussing and so on, but I've come to terms that they are not a 'they' anymore. There is only 'we', I am a part of MS as well, not an external agent by any means. This has just increased the pressure I put on myself to thrive and give some fresh ideas which is fresh and useful for the organization. And I will keep reading and over-working my brain until I am able to think something out.

All the best to fellow interns.

Keep exploring.

Cheers,

Ram Anand

No comments: