Sunday, December 21, 2008

An introduction

Hi all,

I'm Kyanne Tan from Limkokwing University, Malaysia. I started internship on 24 Nov. I am now doing my internship in Hotel Nikko Kuala Lumpur which located at Jalan Ampang, Kuala Lumpur. So what's about Hotel Nikko? Hotel Nikko Kuala Lumpur had its winning award as 5-star hotel which has became an ideal address for any business or pleasure. The Hotel has 473 furnished rooms, including Executive Nikko Club Rooms and Suites specially created for the comfort of business travellers. Besides that, the Hotel also has its own theatre of taste that gives many choices to everyone. From Japanese cuisine, Cantonese and Sichuan specialties to favourite selection of both local and Western choices. Also, the Hotel able to pampers everyone with their recreation facilities such as swimming pool and fitness centre.

Well, first of all, I am put to PR or to call Communications department as a Trainee in the Hotel. Throughout my eight weeks of training, I will be wearing provided uniforms. We are not allowed to bring the uniforms out from the working place, and so, all employees are asked to send their dirty outfit to the laundry in Hotel which is free of charge. Besides, I am also not allowed to bring my phone when i'm on duty. So sad and don't you guys think this is ridiculous? What if there is any emergency calls and i am not able to answer? Sigh.

On the first day, i met the PR Director, my boss. She briefed what I will be responsible with throughout my training period. Unfortunately I'm unable to do much paper work which I thought I would be doing because all the important tasks will be done by my boss and her assistants. I will only be responsible in doing database, eblast (blast out the enewsletter to selected people) and of course some other simple tasks such as searching newspaper clippings (about the Hotel) and so on.
However, I believe doing some other simple tasks such as photocopying and scanning isn't a bad thing. We should learn to be independent rather than relying on people. Not only lower ranking people should do this.

On the first week, I was quite worried that i won't be able to learn as much as other interns. For example, I might not have chances to publish my work even though i have the chance to write. I hope to have at least a chance to publish my work like some other interns get. As i read through this blog, everyone of us experienced different things. Well, which I can see that PR field in each company has different motive and different environment to deal with. What I've learned so far from Hotel Nikko in their PR field is to cultivate relationship. We work very closely with media people which I think every PR does the same. We send out at least two press releases per week to media publication in order to get some write up about the Hotel.

During the second week, there was an event to announce the closure of a Cafe in the Hotel Lobby level for make over exercise and will come up with new dining concept on March next year. I get to meet up with a lot of media people from The Star, NST, some magazine companies and so on. The objective of the event is to build the PR publicity and also to cultivate relationship with the media. Besides that, the event also takes the opportunity to announce the Hotel's new appointed Executive Chef who will be responsible in Western Cuisine.

I would like to stop here. Will share more on what i experienced in the coming blogs.

To the interns out there, good luck to all of you, cheers!
Kyanne

1 comment:

Ram said...

Hey Kyanne,

I'm Ram, doing my internship in Microsoft Singapore.

Everybody has their share of troubles when it comes to internships. Don;t worry too much, you should just find out about the positives in your internship.

Maybe you could offer yourself to aid for any available works. In case if you have any dissatisfaction at all, feel free to communicate with your colleagues or manager. We are in PR afterall.

I too had an empty first week, but what I have realized is that works aren't given to you on a platter, you have to be confident enough to offer your services and participation. Please do not worry about your report as of yet, our primary concern in this internship is about learning about the real world, not to worry about what you have to write in the future.

If you keep concerning yourself about the future, you won't be able to experience the present. I had a colleague who told me even though you may not have done anything the whole day or even week, there is no such thing called as 'nothing'. You just have to observe and study. There's always something to learn outside there. I try to collect as much ideas as possible so that when the opportunity comes during even a meeting, I am able to leverage out my ideas, which increases my chances of participating in any process.

We are not in a mechanical field where we have certain schedule for works. PR is a very subjective field, you can learn anytime from any available medium. You must constantly search for ideas, even when off duty. My manager gave me a wonderful advice- that there is no 'off duty' for PR people. Who you are and what you are saying will always, no matter when and what, affect the image of your organization.

Just a piece of my thoughts. Read some other blogs by our friends on this site, there are plenty of them who had an uneventful start, but now it seems everybody have come to make the best of looking at the positives. They might inspire you.

Cheers, :)