Out of the many duties of a PR practitioner, writing speeches is one aspect that i do not really enjoy because of the formality required. Well there are always bound to be certain aspects that one would like and/or dislike no matter what it is. It's just by human nature that we choose the things that we like to do or we feel confident in doing. So writing speeches i would say is something that i do not particularly favour.
Yesterday I was given the task to write a speech for the Chairman of the Staff Recreation Club for one of the hotel yearly events. Mixed feelings came upon me. On one hand, I was like 'Oh No... speech...' but on the other hand I was thinking, "This is something that I cannot avoid. It is one of the things that I have to do as a PR practitioner may it be an intern or an official PR practitioner in the near future'. And suddenly the thought/phrase of 'The only way to overcome your fear is to face it' came into my mind. Although mine would not be considered as a fear but it’s something that I don’t feel very confident in doing. So I decided to be ‘open’ about it instead of restraining myself to negative thoughts about speeches. Looked through a past year example speech for that particular event and I was relieved that it wasn’t as formal as I thought it would be. Of course at the back of my head I know that I would/might need to write formal speeches in the future as a PR. But as for now, I am just learning and gaining experiences along the way. So off I went, writing that speech and I was happy with myself at the end of the day that I manage to write one, with the help of an example of course. So yea… that was my story of ‘Speeches and Me’. Hehe…
Wish you all well with your internship. =)
2 comments:
Hi Letitia
well i found your post interesting because it is the total opposite of my perceptions. Contrary to you, i happen to enjoy writing speeches, then i guess it's because of the fact that i enjoy writing as well. But it is okay that you do not favor speech writing,we all have things that we enjoy and those that we are not particularly fond of.
Speech writing however is a component of PR that is essential and if you can master a speech for anyone and for any occasion you can consider yourself as a good Pr person . i feel that speech writing is important because you get to put your ideas and creativity down on paper and i feel that i would take pride in hearing the words that i wrote being said at U.N conference or an opening of a new center for children who suffer from cancer.
well i acknowledge the fact that you decided to be open minded and restrain your negative thoughts because that is the only way to overcome anything if you want to have a successful career in future. you will be made to do things that come with the job but they may not always be your cup of tea.
i am glad you manged to write the speech in the end and i am sure that with more practice you will be able to excel in doing it.
good luck with the rest of your internship....
Sadie
Hey Sadie,
I understand that writing speeches is an important part as a PR. IN fact my PR manager had to write a speech for the chief minister at one of their hotel events.
Loving to write is actually a very important component in PR and you certainly have that in you. ;)
Thanks for your thoughts about writing speeches and sharing it with me. i kinda understand what you meant by the feeling you get when your speech is being presented by someone because that speech i wrote, was for the Gingerbread House event. the one that i posted about me being the MC. But honestly i wasnt excited about the speech because i think i was too nervous and worried about being the MC and not making a fool out of myself in front of those people. Haha...
Well thanks again... and i think that i just have to keep working on it. :)
Post a Comment