Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Going into the second week..

Hi all,

I'm Imaan from Limkokwing campus. It's good to read all of our experiences. Sorry for being a bit late with the first post, but let me tell you what I have experienced so far.

The first week itself was a mixture of boredom and interesting moments.. Having worked quite a lot before in a high-profiled NGO in Maldives, as well as having had worked in projects for UNDP back in Maldives, I was not at all new to the work field. I had handled many events, seminars and fund-raising Maybe, this was the reason why I expected a lot of work (not just scanning, making calls and such, but work really related to PR) and i got bored and frustrated when things did not happen how I thought it would.

However, what I did not realise was that I was brand new and fresh into the CORPORATE world of Public Relations AND having worked before SHOULD have made me realise that I, like everyone else must start from scratch. Well, atleast that was what I tried to convince myself, specially since I had to drag myself up and get going from 5.30am in the morning to make it on time for 8.30am before work started.

Even with this, I was praying for something which would make me look forward to go to work when I was presented the opportunity to take part in a media launch for on my fourth day at work. I called the media and asked them if they were attending, gave them information about the event and helped prepared the press kit. The final event was grand itself and because of my involvement I was asked to write a debrief report on the event and the launch. After that the jobs I was asked to do have been both boring, tedious as well as important and fun.

So as I go into my second week, this is what I have learnt so far: no job starts at the top, specially if you are new to the industry and the way to get ahead is accept all the jobs (even if they are boring) and then when you do a good job at it, you get recognised. Also, take iniative and offer your help anywhere and everywhere you can (I often do this and have told everyone that I do not shy from work).

I am hoping that the boring part subsides altogether and this job becomes as interesting and as ful-filling as I hoped it will be.

Well, I'm signing out for now.. take care and catch you all laters.. Good luck in your internships..

Xoxo
Imaan

No comments: