Thursday, January 15, 2009

jane, her job, and you.

I'm Goh Wan Tze @ Jane from Curtin Sarawak Campus in Miri. Like most of you here, I'm currently doing my internship for PR393 and am here to share my experience as well as to learn from your experiences. I started my internship really late as my applications were rejected twice earlier in the semester. However, I managed to start my internship on 20th December 2008 with Miri International Tuition School (MITS) in my city.

I'd like to start with a little bit of information about myself for warming up. I'm gonna soon graduate after I pass this unit, I'm not sure when but I am going to. I was told that I can't make it for the coming graduation ceremony though. In Sarawak, we only have 1 graudation ceremony a year which is very, very inconvenient. Anyway, I'm 22 year-old, Malaysian Chinese. I love outdoors. Scuba diving, fishing, sports. I've a 3 months old female Golden Retriever named Sunny.

I should certainly introduce my current employer to you next. MITS is a well-known tuition school in my city with 3 branches and almost 2,000 students. In MITS, English education is the priority though they offer Bahasa Malaysia, Mathematics and Science classes too. The school actually started from ITS, International Tuition School in Kuching which is now known as KITS. So, KITS is our mother branch. The founder of ITS is Mrs. Wong in Kuching, the Head Principal there. While the partner of Mrs. Wong, Mrs. Linda Salang, my current employer, is solely in charged of MITS in Miri. MITS has 3 branches which are the Pujut branch, Krokop branch and Airport branch.

In fact, I'm already taken in as a full-time employee in MITS last month. During the interview for internship with MITS, Mrs. Salang found me valuable for the school and she was also thinking of putting more attention on the school's PR efforts as well as CSR in the new year. Therefore, I'm employed by her to as the PR Executive cum Assistant Branch Principal. Of course, it didn't happen just like that. I was previously a part-time employee of MITS since year 2007. With enough understanding towards my qualifications and personality, I was found suitable for the post. For a clearer comprehension, my job requires me to plan events and activities, to further improve the internal PR such as employee relations, to design printed advertisements, brochures, newsletters, banners, flyers and any sort of publications, to hancle any applications dealing with the local govenrment concerning permits or licenses, to write in press releases, to resolve complaints or any kind of internal or external disputes and any work to do with PR. While PR is the main focus of my job, I'm also put in charged of MITS Airport Branch at the moment. Meaning that I'm officially the principal for the branch working under Mrs. Salang.

My job is pretty straight forward, I report directly to Mrs. Salang for approvals and I call for meetings and discussions with the management and staff when needed. I'm given the full responsibilities to plan, organize and manage all the events and activities. I'm to come out with ideas and plans then propose them to the management. However, I'll always have to communicate with all the staff in the process of planning and executing the plans. Nothing works when there's no cooporation from them. I strongly encourage the open-door policy as well as two-way communication.

So that's about me, my internship, my job and my employer. I'll like to share more on what comes along my internship and will definitely like to hear from you guys too. By the way, this is my 1st blog, I mean 1st time blogging. I find it quite a good experience :) Thanks everyone especially to Katharina.

Good Day!

No comments: