Saturday, January 17, 2009

New experience

Hi all,

I'm Kyanne Tan from Limkokwing University, Cyberjaya campus. It's been some time i didn't get to update myself here. Hope everyone out there doing good! and yes, this blog is getting interesting. Everyone approaching their new experiences and some got to publish their work, run on events, deal with clients, this and that. As i mentioned, i am interning in a Hotel (Hotel Nikko Kuala Lumpur) and unfortunately i don't have the chance to write press releases because all that will be done by my boss and her assistants. Eventually, i am there to assist them with some other tasks such as preparing media kits, greeting cards for clients, database (key-in particular members' details into a list), eblast (sending invitation or promotions of the Hotel through e-mail) and so on.

PR in hotel, however, do not have much opportunity to organise events but doing events for their clients instead. So far, i only got to attend one event as i mentioned in my very first blog entry where to announce the closure of a Cafe for makeover exercise and also the new appointed British nationality Executive Chef. What i've learned being in PR department in hotels is to create awareness. Building the publicity is very much important as well as cultivating relationship with media people. I believe this is what basically PR need to do.

Besides, we also have media review very often and almost every 2 weeks once as the hotel has great food promotions every month and room promotions every year. After the reviews, magazines or newspapers publication will be writing up about it. So, i am also assisting my department to read through the newspapers (Malaysia publication) in Malay, English and Chinese version to search for newspaper clippings that are related to Hotel Nikko Kuala Lumpur.

On the other hand, for eblast, i've been mailing out food promotions of different festive including Christmas, New Year, Chinese New Year and Valentine's Day to different group of members (from Hotel memberships to Media members), mostly from Malaysia and Singapore.

Well, that's all for now. Will share more on the next entry.

Good luck and take care guys!

Cheers,
Kyanne
Limkokwing University

2 comments:

Anna said...

Hi Kyanne

I read both your entries and waiting for more updates on how things have been going for you. I always held a high opinion of Hotel Nikko, so I really look forward to see what you have learned from them.

At first it may seem that we as interns are not doing much, but from what I have learned is that PR industry needs to be done with efficiency and most importantly group work and corporation, so even when you are doing the smallest of tasks you are helping in a big way. After all we are interns and cannot expect to be given work that is meant for professionals who have been in the industry for much longer then we have. I used to worry about the work I was given on my first day, but by the second day the work load came in so heavy that I was secretly begging for a break :)

I think it’s great that Hotel Nikko has such excellent discipline and is so well managed. It is also an advantage to have a uniform, this way you don't have to worry so much about buying work clothes.

Do you have a chance to apply PR techniques in your work place? Are your superiors open to comments and suggestions from you? Do you voice out your ideas?

It’s wonderful that you are able to help with most of the tasks, and I agree with you that hotels are all about awareness, I think the same goes for all companies though, PR’s aim is to give positive awareness for the organizations it represents. What is Hotel Nikko’s plan for this year, do they have extra plans to attract more tourists or locals as this may be a slow year due to the economic crisis?

Thank you for your interesting posts and hope to read more about your internship in Hotel Nikko.

Anna

Jacinta Lee said...

Hi Kyanne.

Good day to you.

I am glad that u gained new and useful experience from the internship.

I understand that your organization is bigger than mine and therefore most of the times interns won't be given the chance to have too much hands on experience like writing press releases, etc.

These jobs are usually done by public relations practitioners or whoever that are more senior than you in the department.

However, i would like to advise you to have a close relationships with these seniors so that from there, you can request them to teach you more or even guide you or show you how things are done.

I believe with passion and patience, you will definitely learn more and gain trust from your superior in the end.

Let's work things out together and learn with positive attitudes.

Again, thanks for your interesting posts and sharing your experience with us.

All the best to you and your organisation.


Best regards,
Jacinta