Hey people!
I hope everyone is doing great in their work and study there. I'm so glad that I've finally finished my internship with MITS! And what's a greater news? I'm now officially the full time employee of the company with the title of 'PR Executive cum Assistant Principal'. The feeling is great.
throughout the internship period, I've learnt and seen a lot in the real working life. The experience of my internship has taught me what I've never got to learn in the university. For example, I never had to deal with that many people who don't understand what is PR and are not interested in getting know it. during my internship, I had to work hard to convince people of the benefits and 'power' of PR, moreover, I also had to prove myself capable to my colleagues and the management. Not like in university, people know your grades and people judge you on your grades, awards and presentaions in class. In real life, there're not many who cares about your results but your actual performance and especially your 'people skill'. Which means, how well you can get along with people around you whil trying to reach your aims and objectives.
I was not a very social person and I could be very firm and tense when it comes to work. However, I've learnt to be more relaxed in my job to adapt to the surrounding. In the beginning of my internship I was in fact quite stressed out over the people at work and also the funny ways people do things. I couldn't seem to communicate with them well and I felt like there was tension in our conversations and I never got any honest comments and opinions from people during my presentation. Most of the honest feedbacks were gathered in the coffee room. To fit in their circle for my work, I tried to find a comfortable ground for discussion. I started joining the staff for tea breaks and lunches, talking to them about my holidays, foods, places and news or anything that interests each individual. I actually have to shape myself into each conversation in order to get the most honest feedback as well as to deliver my ideas to them. I don't know how this sound to you. It would sound really, really bad before, but now, I think since it works, I achieved my objectives, people are motivated and happy, the company benefits from my efforts, there'e absolutely nothing wrong with having a little changes in my working style to fit in the environment.
Nonetheless, I'm of course very happy that my employer is satisfied with my performance so far. Although there're more challenges and even obstacles anticipated in my career, I'm very excited about them. Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I read this quote somewhere which I can't recall but I find it very true and will definitely treat it as the golden rule in my career. Thank you everyone for your time in reading. I wish all of you the best in life.
Regards,
Jane Goh
Curtin Sarawak Campus.
2 comments:
Being a PR practitioner in developing city like Miri is really challenging indeed.
In my opinion, being socialable or not in person does not really matter when it comes to a real life professional PR context. As a PR, you are paid to be socialable.
Over 2 months at Hyatt, I've got my typical "PR face" which is keep a smile on your face no matter how much problem at your backstage. It is very important especially being PR in hospitality industry.
Hi Jane,
Great to hear your improvement at MITS, I realize the problems we face in the real world are more challenging than what we have in the class. At least in class we have lecturer to guide and remind us. But in the real world everything we do is on our own and, we have to think it twice.
Some more, there are so many faces we need to counter in the work place. Like what you said, your colleagues will not give an honest feedback to you. It is the same thing happened to me too. So, what I do is spend more time mixing around with them, hangs around with them, and learned on their working style.
For the first few days, I was really not comfortable with the changes in my working style, I have to put aside my egoism and try to suite it with their style. But toward the end, thing goes smoothly and I can fit myself with my working environment.
This experience makes me come to realize that, to survive in the real working world, we really have to know how to socialize and suite ourselves with the others, with a high qualification in education alone will never be enough.
Regards,
Sherly Tan
Curtin Miri.
Post a Comment