Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Guide Dogs Leading the Way

Hello Everyone,

I began my internship at the Guide Dogs for the Blind WA recently and have now successfully completed four days at the association. Although daunting, once arriving and settling into the environment here I feel welcome and keen to help out where-ever I can.

To date I have completed a variety of tasks, aswell as having time to organise things and meet new people. On the first day I was shown around the building, given tours of the Braille Library, Discovery Centre, Puppy Playground and other resources located within the building. I was introduced to the team I will be working with in the Community Relations Department. Everyone was very welcoming and quick to share hints and helpful facts that might help me throughout my time with the association.

To begin with I completed some Corporate Sponsor Prospect research and become familiar with the Donor Management program which is the database that includes stakeholders involved with the association (ie clients, breeders, puppy raisers, volunteers). I have also participated in a photoshoot for the Annual Review and contributed my help to an article for the 'Community Insight', a booklet released to the community involved with the Guide Dogs WA.

We have several PR retired guide dogs who have been popping in and out of the office within the time I have been here. Calvin, Bella and Kip are beautiful dogs, all extremely friendly and eager to be patted whenever you need a break from work :)

Working around the guide dogs and clients there are certain guidelines to follow. Dogs with a harness on are working and not to acknowledged, and when walking around the buildings it is best to watch out for clients or visitors with loss of vision.

Just thought I would touch base with some of the fellow interns out there, hope everyone is enjoying their practical experience and you will be hearing more from me throughout my time here...

Rachel, Curtin, Bentley Campus

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loves it bitch:)

Krish said...

PPR does the PR for the Association!
I was actually there at a meeting, and Don mentioned that you were being interviewed at that exact time...so well done!
Maybe we'll cross paths soon... :)
Cheers,
Krish

Elise Gray said...

Hi Rachel, That sounds like a really interesting job! Working in the community relations dept, what sort of community liaison does the assoc do?? Do they have programs in place to teach people about proper treatment of guidedogs and in what capacity do PR professionals play in this? I haven't started my internship yet, I start on Friday. Do you have any tips on how to get the most out of your experience?

Thanks
Elise :)