Sunday, February 22, 2009

Halfway through..

Hi everyone,

Stacey here, I’m now almost halfway through my internship at Fashionate.

I’ve found it very refreshing how willing people are to help with charitable events. As Fashionate also runs charitable events, some of the tasks I have been given throughout my internship are to find people to donate items and their time. One example of this was when we helped host the Breast Cancer Foundation Pink Tea Party. The day before the event, two make-up artists had pulled out, so we had to find replacements that day. I actually found it very easy to find people who were willing to help; people were offering to cancel their appointments to come down and help.

I think the most daunting task I’ve been given was to publicise Sky Ingram’s opera performance. It was very interesting; this girl was only in her 20’s and had won many awards in Australia in opera singing. The concert was to raise funds for her to attend a London Academy to progress in her singing career. My consultant wanted me to write a bunch of media releases and send them out to the vast media. We caught a bit of interest from a couple of local newspapers, but only managed to get into one, due to the time when it was released during the week.

I’ve found the message strategy plans we used in the public relations classes so beneficial in any communication task that I do. Due to the short time we have to do them, they usually aren’t as detailed as the ones we do at uni, but they are a great starting block to working out the way in which to get the media attention.

Time is very important in this field. You’ve got to be very efficient with all the time you’ve got. I only go to my internship twice a week and its amazing how much has changed each time I go in. Even I find when I leave my internship, I still have to check my email to see if I’ve had any replies from clients and the media, and I still find myself doing work at home. My consultant is a prime example; she is up every night to midnight still working.

Cheers,

Stacey.

No comments: