Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The lazy (?) blogger

Hey bloggers,

Into the final stages of my placement, and I am surprised to see I haven’t blogged anywhere a much as I intended to!

I think there are a few reasons – I’ve been working long hours in front of a computer most days, so when I get home the last thing I want is to do it all over again. At uni I am on facebook a few times a day. Since starting my internship, I have been on maybe five times in total - and never during the week. Even my friends have noticed, which I think shows the lifestyle change!

I also haven't had too much to write about the work. I have learnt more about my writing style, and how systems work within large companies, but it is a quiet time of year, so there hasn't been a lot to write about.

Mostly, I have also gone to blog, or make comments on other people’s posts, and then stopped myself.

It sounds funny, but I am very hesitant to write about the company, because I am worried I might say something that is misinterpreted or confidential. And those thoughts have made blogging really challenging for me. I scrutinise everything I write at least ten times!!

Communications and External Relations is strategic communications. Especially in a time where the company is receiving so much media attention, I would rather say very little than say the wrong thing.

I guess, from that point of view, my time here is reinforcing the importance of professionalism and confidentiality.

Many people within the company see Communications and External Relations as the people who might know what is going on in times of uncertainty. We were warned to be careful of speaking in the lifts or in cafes around the building, because gossip can soon become gospel if it appears to be from a credible source.

While I am just a student, being the most inexperienced one here has made my fear of being the ignorant one to stuff up more real. I think it has really prevented me from sharing a lot in this forum. I am not lying when I say I have posted what I thought to be completely innocent material with the faint thought of “what if?” What if it ends up in The West? What if I thought what I said was innocent but unknowingly have said something I shouldn’t have?

It is irrational - I am only a student, and not that important, but I figured I would throw my thoughts into the blog to find out your thoughts. I guess it also touches on the issue of ethics within PR. How much information is public property, how much do you retain?

I find it really interesting how I have been feeling, and wondered if anyone else was in the same boat. I am quite happy to share my thoughts and experiences about my time here verbally with people I meet, but hesitate when it comes to a written record.

I guess in hindsight, I should have consulted more with my manager as to what I was posting – but she never brought it up, and she is so busy that has only just occurred to me as I typed this. Another solution would have been to not name the company in the first place… but one lesson I have definitely learnt from the company during my stay is retrospect doesn’t count for a lot in the real world!!

Let me know your thoughts!

Good luck to those beginning and finishing their placements as we head back to class.

:-)

5 comments:

Jess B. said...

Hey Amanda,

I felt the same way when i first thought of what i should put up in this blog. I've written down in a journal everything i've done in my company, Arcis Communications, but i'm in doubt of what i can put up in the blog and what i can't.

From the start i mentioned i mentioned to my supervisor that i would be writing a blog reflecting on my experience in the company and they made sure that i didn't give out confidential information. From that, i too was a bit hesitant but i managed to ask my boss and everything was cleared.
So hopefully you'll managed to catch your manager when she's free to clear things up!

good luck yea!

Jessica Buri

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jess for your comment.

I hope your internship is going well.

I guess working in the real world with operating business really brings home the responsibility of a PR practitioner, or any worker within an organisation, to serve the companies best interests.

All the best with the rest of your placement!

Thanks, Amanda

Anna said...

Hi Amanda,

I agree with you and Jess, I guess we all faced similar problems when we were starting out, but now we have all come out of our shells. I realize how things we say here could easily come with one click, however we are protected to a certain level as this blog is for educational purposes, but that does not mean we should be careless.

What I did is rename my client as company X, this makes it so much easier to talk about my work. Another thing is that with our clients we are free to talk about things that have been already published, but never write about upcoming events, campaigns or plans. You can ask your boss if the same goes for your clients and company.

Wish you all the best with the rest of your internship and your report.

Cheers

Anna

EcoRuth said...

Ethics, PR and the web! What a discussion! Nice choice Amanda.
It all comes down to the fact that we have to respect our organisation. I have heard that some interns have to sign confidentiality contracts and those sorts of things.
As with any communication, including email and blogs, we still represent the organisation that we are working for. Even as an intern these ‘rules’ still apply.
Its tough to reflect on issues we face personally within our placements and issues the organisation is facing, a lot easier to reflect on the positive outcomes. But… this is the constant challenge of PR, at which point do we stop serving the best interests of the organisation? At the end of the day, it is your personal values that you must never trade off for your organisation. This is what will make or ‘break’ you as an excellent PR professional (this is of course…. Is just my opinion)

Holly said...

Hi Amanda,
It looks as though we are all in the same boat with feeling uneasy about mentioning the company name or anything negative about who we are working for.

I too feel funny about stating the name of the company especially because it's a web firm business, and they are constantly inolved with blogging etc.

Plus, one of my bad mistakes which i have learnt from was sending an email media release to a popular radio station about the company, without the bosses review and he was furious!!!

I will NEVER do that again.
Anyway, i hope all goes well with your internship and i believe that as long as you communicate with your boss, everything should be fine!

Holly