Monday, March 9, 2009

Day 3 at the International Students Committee

Day 3 at the ISC.
Today was our second weekly meeting. It was good and I believe really enriching. It’s weird there’s so much things I still have to learn that I had not realised yet. For instance what a report was. The experience is really helping me in understanding the importance of a PR officer but also what it means to have such a title.
Before the meeting we usually get an agenda on which is written: “Report from different departments”, well I was not sure what that meant but while browsing through the previous years’ folders I found out that the PR Officer in 2007 was preparing a report of all updates since the previous meetings and write about any issues. It was too late to do that for this week’s meeting (and no one else is doing it), but I believe it would really help me out. Not only would I not have to remember everything I did this week but it would also mean that I have a hard copy of everything that has been done and needs to be done. Thus, I have decided to work on this for the next meeting.
Additionally, the committee and myself had not yet understood the size of the event I am organising (Harmony Day). We will be having a meeting with the Guild and there should be food stalls and performances too. This will mean I have to come up with a programme of the whole day. I’m really excited because I love organising events and I am impatient to use the tools I was taught in the PR classes. Unfortunately I have less than a month to do it all, but I’m looking forward to it.
Concerning Harmony Day, the way they are tackling it is not the best. Well, the HR officer and I are supposed to look after that event, but they are trying to have a say on how many volunteers are needed. Well, until we prepare the programme and know exactly what is going on, it is impossible to say unfortunately. I cannot restrict the number to 15 without knowing what sort of entertainment is needed, how many stalls there will be and those kinds of details.
I find out that one of the main issues that I have with the ISC is that it sometimes only caters for a type of international students. The group being mostly from one country, this means that their view is reinforced. I am still trying to cater for all the other international students but it is hard at times, and I am not sure of how to make them understand that we have a duty to ALL international students studying at Curtin. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I thought of drawing a Potter Box but then I am not sure whether they would take me seriously.
Apart from that, as I have told you earlier, I am enjoying it. It is nice to know that all the theories learnt are not just meant to be in books, you do use them and that there is a practical side to it. Unfortunately I have not been able to write any media releases yet or use any of my writing skills but I believe that is just a question of time. At the same time, I was scared because my written English is not always that good but now I see that there are different faces to PR and you are not obliged to just be the person who writes all the media releases, media kits, feature stories and so on. I am glad that Curtin offers PR 393 because it makes me understand the different facets to being a PR Officer.

No comments: