Hello again.
It is my third week at my intern placement job and although i am loving every minute, there still happens to be something tricky which seems to appear every day that i am there.
You probably all have the same problems but with different scenarios. So I'll explain to you what happened today.
The web firm company who i am working for has just released a new version of a Content Management System. A Who and What you may ask? This is what i initially thought when the boss came to me this morning and asked me to write a media release for this particular product.
The first step i took as he was leaving out the door for a meeting was Google what exactly a Content Management System was, i mean come on... I'm studying PR not IT. But as we have always been taught, as a PR consultant, one must adapt to the environment they are working in, with professionalism.
After looking up several Google examples of what a Content Management System was, i finally got the gist of it. For those of you who are wondering, a CMS- which is what the smart IT people title it as, is an application that any person, novice or developer can use to create and manage their own website. Pretty cool, ha?
So here i was sitting at the office desk and quite pleased with myself for finally understanding something involved with the job that confuses me everyday and i had to write a media release about the company's specific CMS.
How did i start? I asked the designers and developers for a little assistance.
How did i go? Alright i guess. Although I'm showing the boss tomorrow.
What did i learn? That sometimes Google is my best friend.
What will i do if my boss laughs and shakes his head in horror at my media release? Sob...
Anyway, I'll fill you all in with what happens next time.
Until then, i hope you are all going well!
Holly
1 comment:
I find it so refreshing that I'm not the only person who googles everything! It's amazing to think that a few years ago if we had a question we'de get told to refer to the dictionary or encyclopedia. Now "I googled it" is a statement used daily.
When doing PR in industry I agree that it can be particularly difficult as we don't have the technical knowledge to apply to our pieces of work. This is why I think In-house appears more appealing than consultancy (because you can get a better understanding of the field).
Good luck with your release, I'm sure your boss will love it! If not then just hit up google again for some technical terms :P
Post a Comment