Hi All,
It will only be a quick blog today but I wanted to let you know I had my first mini crisis working at PTC this week. Crisis may be an over exaggeration but since I’m new to all of this and still have that ‘I need to make a great impression’ feeling, to me it was a mini crisis.
I have spent quite a bit of time since beginning my placement 11 days ago organising interviews with radio stations and newspapers. Everything was going really well, I had orchestrated five radio interviews and about the same in newspaper features.
However this Thursday one of my pre-arranged interviews took place. In the lead up to this interview I had called to confirm with both the interviewer and interviewee three times (one just a day before the interview took place) and faxed the interviewer (who will remain nameless) a copy of the play’s press release four times, even though in past conversations she had informed me that the fax had arrived to her successfully. The week before the same person had conducted an interview but became a little confused as to who they were interviewing (even though as stated above I had sent the information a number of times and confirmed thrice). So when they came on air for this weeks interview they had a spiel (while our actor was waiting ON AIR) about how inappropriate they thought PR departments were, how they always only ever seemed to mess them around and how PR departments are self serving.
Now to me, even though the radio audience could not have known it was PTC who organised the interview, seems to be a huge disaster. My supervisor sat me down when I arrived to work to tell me what had happened and I was shocked at the un-professionalism of the interviewer but also mortified at the thought that PTC might blame me. Thankfully I had cc’d my supervisor into all emails I had sent and shown her a copy of the fax. She was well aware of how many times I had been made to fax it through and how many times I had made confirmations.
I guess the whole situation just proves that although you check and re-check, send and re-send sometimes it all just comes down to the feelings of another person beyond your control. I will always remember this as an important lesson as to why you should never only organise one interview or one feature because if you do it could all turn sour. It also shows the benefits of having open communication with your supervisor and letting them know exactly what you are doing because if mine hadn’t been ‘full bottle’ things could have turned out very differently.
Other than this though, I am still having a blast at PTC.
Chat soon,
Chelle xx
4 comments:
Hi Chelle,
Oh my poor you! I also found out the same thing, if you have to CC and keep copies of all communication that leaves the office.
I had the same experience and thankfully I had it all in my email and was able to get away with it.
Good luck,
Emilie
Hi Chelle,
You poor thing! I've had some experience in a similar situation with international clients in my previous work experience! It's so great that your supervisor knew of all communication though and that you had done all that was required of you. Hopefully this will be a one off crisis and everything else will continue smoothly!
I hope everything else is going well with your placement and that you get some good feedback on other media interviews and articles.
All the best,
Zoe
Hi Chelle,
What a terrible feeling! Even though it isn't your fault, you are working so hard and seem so committed to what you are doing I imagine this would have been awful.
I hope the other interviews went well and glad to hear you're enjoying yourself.
Amanda :)
Hey Chelle,
I feel sorry for you, as the same sort of thing happened to me! Except that my boss was not impressed with me and i got into so much trouble!
I felt so unprofessional but now when i look back on it, it was four weeks ago now, and it seems like forever ago! So many other things have happened since then- good and bad, but in the end, it's all experience.
You always learn from your mistakes though, and we are only human, so i hope that the rest of your placement goes smoothly!
Holly
Post a Comment