Thursday, March 19, 2009

PR in the wine industry part 2

Hi guys,

As I mentioned in my previous blog the Leeuwin Concert that I had been working on was last weekend and it was an amazing event! International musician Chris Isaak was the performer for this year’s event and proved to be a huge success both with the audience and in terms of media coverage.

Unlike a lot of your placements I have yet to send out any media releases. However, that is not to say that Leeuwin does not engage in media relations. The West Australian/Sunday Times covered the event, resulting in some great reviews and a brilliant article in The Sunday Times (March 8th). It is available on-line as well so check it out if you have the time http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuId=5&ContentID=128834
There was also a full review of the whole event – which is over a two day period – in the Monday edition of The West Australian. Likewise, the local Margaret River paper, and other surrounding local papers also provided media coverage of the event. There was also coverage on radio and internet media.

I worked the day of the first concert, helping with last minute tasks such as the arranging seating plans, assisting in the final touches to the ‘corporate tent’ and putting together numerous thank you packages to certain guests. The magnitude of the event is incredible and the detail that goes into every aspect from the guests to the scheduling and transportation of guests and the set up of the event itself is phenomenal. I had the opportunity to sit in on a meeting for the scheduling of transportation for a particular demographic of guests and the logistics and preparation behind that one task was mind blowing. I also had the opportunity to enjoy the concert on the Sunday and from a customers point-of-view it was a fantastic night!

As I said in my previous blog I wish I had began my placement a month or so earlier just to get a better understanding of the PR/event protocol of the organization. However, I am now starting on more tasks around the office including designing, formatting and producing tasting/information booklets and also tasting mats and other various documents needed for other events. I have also been updating mail lists as there has been an increase of customers wishing to be put on the list after the success of the concert.

Well, I am now 9 and a half days through my placement so ill update you on what I’ve been doing in a week or so!

Oh by the way, sorry about the late posting of this blog! Time caught up with me and before I knew it a week or so had passed!

Cheers guys!
Zoe Saunders
Curtin University (Bentley Campus)

1 comment:

Fran_Lyons said...

Hi Zoe!

Sounds like you had a fantastic time in the wine industry. How lucky are you getting to see Chris Isac. Plus I bet you got to try a few drops of their finest beverages.

I think it is fantastic that they gave you such an awesome opportunity to further your skills in PR.

Fran