Hi there fellow PR interns,
It’s Catriona, I’ve started my placement with Clontarf Foundation and been taken under the wing of the communications manager. It’s a not-for-profit organisation that helps to keep indigenous kids in school till Year 12 graduation through giving them the opportunity to play Aussie rules and then helps them to find employment; some kids even go into the AFL drafts. I have turned up at the right time as Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has noticed the contribution that Clontarf makes in the education of indigenous kids, and they have been asked to expand nationally (Clontarf are currently in NT and WA.)
After much consideration of a few employers I’m glad that I ended up at Clontarf. Not only is indigenous affairs a highly controversial and serious topic, however for me becoming a part of the Clontarf foundation has showed me that there are people who are actually out there improving the quality of life for indigenous kids.
Not knowing what to expect in my first couple weeks I walked into an office environment that is open, driven and laidback all at the same time.
On my first day I was pulled into a meeting with the other managers and was not just there to listen but encouraged to openly contribute. Listening to the discussions that they had I realised that I could relate nearly everything back to the basic principals I had completed in different units. Ranging from dealing with current sponsors what the needs and wants from them are and also potential sponsors, are they aligned with the organisation, what the partnership can include and promotional material newsletters and leaflets should look like.
My first three weeks have made me realise imperative it is to build up your own set of networks for the future. I always thought yeah yeah when the tutors and lecturers used to say that but now it’s going to become a big priority.
Well this is my first entry and despite my usual pessimistic attitude I’ve noticed that I’ve been nothing but positive about my work placement. I look forward to reading and contributing to the PR 393 blog
Kudos
Cat - Bentley Campus
2 comments:
This sounds awesome! I know you are going to have a great prac at Clontarf. I have had a fair bit to do with the foundation over the last couple of years and they are a great bunch of people working for a great cause. There will be sooo much for you to get involved with as they are constantly growing and as you said, now that Mr Rudd has recognised how important the foundation is for the Indigenous community they are going to expand to their full potential. Good luck and keep it up!!
Dyann
Sounds like you're getting alot out of your placement. I have also found with mine that so many of the tasks I have done all relate back to basic principals from uni. I think one of the standout ones for me was pyramid format for writing media releases.
Many of the people I work with at my placement also remind me of how important contacts are. I think that its not until you experience the work place for yourself that you can really appreciate how important it is.
Good luck and I hope you enjoy the remainder of your placement.
Rachael
Post a Comment