Thursday, April 2, 2009

PR at the FPC

This is my first post on my Placement at the Forest Products Commission (FPC). I am almost half way through my placement and have made quite a few observations about the use of PR in the organisation.

So far I have found the experience fairly interesting. I have written two media releases and assisted in copy for the staff newsletter, layout designs for posters and footage for an educational production DVD on the forestry’s industry.

One of the major hurdles I have found so far has been in regards to the media releases. Since I know very little about trees and forestry’s, writing media statements about the subject has been difficult. My first statement was about the FPC’s Manjimup nursery and I was writing about the different seeds that are being grown! I must have gone back and forth to different people 20 times before the information was right.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with this sort of thing?

I have also observed that the use of public relations seems to be very conservative when dealing with negative media attention, especially from protest groups. There is a lack of proactive media stories placed which I feel is the reason for the lack of understanding the public have about the FPC and forestry’s.

Coming from someone who until a few weeks ago knew nothing about forestry’s and whose knowledge came mainly from media that was presented by the “anti forestry’s” side, (such as protest groups), I think it would be interesting to see how many people are aware of this industry in WA and what the FPC does.

I’d love it if anyone would like to comment on their thoughts on Forestry’s in WA and if they have any knowledge about what the FPC does.

Thanks everyone!

2 comments:

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

Hi Rachael,

I understand exactly what you mean regarding writing media relseases when you aren't completely familiar with the subject matter. I've been in a similar situation when I have had to write articles for the newsletter at my placement organisation. As the people who supply me with the information are heavily involved in the topic and completely understand they tend to leave out really small details and I find myself constantly asking questions or searching the internet for extra information.

I wish you all the best with the rest of your placement.

Emily