Thursday, April 2, 2009

A couple days to go...

Hi everyone,

The start of this week has been quite interesting. It can really surprise me how the most onerous or dull tasks can seem more fulfilling when they are stimulated by a sense of purpose. I have stuffed letters and yet because I knew why and I was aware of the possibly huge benefits I didn’t seem to mind. I have posted more information on internet sites, actually so much so that I now have memorised the dates and synopsis of all our shows, our fax and phone numbers, each staffs emails, Ali’s individual number and our website. But still knowing that internet is one of the largest sources of information to the general public and that getting our information posted on as many sites as possible can only be of benefit I was happy to help.

Then we come to one of my most hated tasks performed at uni – the entering of survey data and analysis of said data. I despised this task at uni, however, doing it for a workplace for which I feel I have an invested interest and on a topic which generally interests me I really did enjoy it. Finding out who makes up your key audience, key demographic is of vital importance in the very competitive entertainment industry. This information affects a large majority of Public Relations decisions, who you will get results from contacting, who you need to focus on because their attention is waning and perhaps more importantly who is a very possible market for the future.

As PR professionals this also provides you with an idea of the means and media’s with which to contact these audiences and HOW to talk to them, the language they will understand and the style which will attract them. So basically I find myself constantly amazed at the meaning working in the ‘real world’ gives to tasks learnt at uni.

I am also continually learning the benefits of creating a relationship with your media contacts – getting beyond the ‘hey can you publish this for me’ stuff and getting to the ‘hey how are you, what have you been up to’. Why? Because it creates some form of professional loyalty and friendship…makes them more likely to help you out.

Well I guess that’s about it for now. I only have a couple of days left before my 20days are up but I am continuing on at PTC with their encouragement and appreciation until I get a job.

Cheers,
Chelle x

No comments: