Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Different Tasks= Time Consuming

It is amazing how fast this semester has gone, especially in regard to my placement at TSH! It seems as though we have barely started organising various areas of Artitude, and it is almost upon us. This PR placement has really drawn attention to the inordinate amount of work that needs to be done to make an event like Artitude successful. The database work, the letters, emails, labeling, follow-up’s, sourcing, arranging- it is all amazingly complex and time consuming. Even for an event like Artitude, I really wasn’t aware of all the in’s and out’s involved in the pre-event organisation. I have spent a lot of time doing database work, which takes up a large amount of time, and because the event is constantly evolving, new sponsors, invitees, artists etc are constantly appearing.

It really puts all those years of multitasking at uni into perspective- I know we all complained about the number of assignments due at the same time, making mutual meeting times with group members, submitting assignments on time. But in reality, that is exactly how it is. I have really had to hone my time management skills, and even now I don’t think I have quite got the hang of it! But I’m sure with practice, these things will happen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Elise,

I could not agree with you more…multitasking is a necessary skill in PR. As it mentions in our book for this semester, “PR is a joggling act”. I have definitely felt like that during my internship. Similar to your experience, I was also involved in organising an event that, I believe, brings all the PR skills and tactics into play. I also agree with relating it to UNI work, how now it makes senesce preparing us for the “real world”.

Violeta

caitlin harris said...

Hi Elise,

I'm doing my placement for the Global Good Foundation (GGF- a nfp that exist to make the lives of people affected by domestic violence better and to break the cycle of domestic violence. I'm working independently on work experience tasks via email.

I completely understand about having to be really organised with your time during your placement.

In my situation work is emailed to me; for example today I was sent a request to research some potential ambassadors and donors for GGF. Other days I'm asked to prepare a Media Kit, etc. This is on top of preparing a strategy to penetrate the Melbourne market! So yes, I understand how multiple tasks can each require time, and you need to prioritise them according to their importance.

I've recently moved to Melbourne so I'm also trying to juggle my work experience tasks with house and job hunting! It can really get away from you at times.

I'm completing my placement on a part time basis, so I guess I'm more flexible with my time and the fact that I'm left to complete it at my own pace can help. At other times though, it makes it really easy to "come back to later".

I agree with you, regarding how all those years of multi-tasking uni assignments are finally paying off! In the real world, it's much harder trying to simultaneously balance several work experience tasks, paid work, uni assignments, finding a hosue.. etc. It is definately a time consuming exercise as well!

Really interesting observation!

Caitlin Harris
Blogging for the Global Good :)