Hi all,
So picking up where I left off… I have been involved with so many different projects and bits and pieces during my time in PR at Burswood. In my third and fourth week I was working on a project with our Sponsorship Executive and to come up with some fun ways to engage the guests (corporate and patrons) that we invite to the AFL each week. Burswood has a very strong relationship with both the West Coast Eagles and Fremantle Dockers so we have a corporate box for each game at Subi Oval. In the past we have simply invited guests to join us in the box to watch the footy but there was no link back to Burswood. So we wanted some merchandise to use in the boxes to enhance our guests experience whilst being hosted by us. I had to brainstorm ideas, obtain quotes and then put together a presentation and pitch it to my PR manager. In the end we were able to get some stadium seat cushions and stubby holders produced with our logo on them. It was my responsibility to liaise with the supplier, obtain artwork, approvals and arrange the payment. I also had to produce a Communications Plan to roll the project out internally. The whole project took me a couple of weeks (I am only in the office 3 days a week) as I had to wait on approvals and artwork etc plus I was working on a few other projects as well. It was a really great experience to be in charge of my own project, even though it was small, but to see it the whole way through, from ideas stage to planning, and implementation.
So whilst I was working on the merchandise project I was also helping out a colleague who looks after the Internal Comms. As I mentioned in my last post we have over 4000 staff at Burswood so this is a massive area to cover. There are a number of ways that we communicate with our staff to keep them informed and one of those is a quarterly glossy magazine. So I got to try my hand at a bit of journalism and write an article for ‘The Buzz’. Also helping out with Internal Comms I was asked to supervise a staff preview screening of the movie Two Fists, One Heart at Belmont Reading Cinemas as part of a staff competition we ran. I had to go down to the cinema and direct the photographer and liaise with the Manager of the cinema to make sure everything went smoothly. The night was a great success and I had an absolute ball!
So everything sounds quite exciting but I must say that I have also done the mundane envelope stuffing and data entry just like I'm sure a lot of us do on prac but it is all worth it!
Over the next couple of weeks I was involved in helping out with the Burswood Media Golf Day, more internal communications and a meeting with some very amazing elephants at the Perth Zoo!!
Dyann
2 comments:
Hello,
I just wanted to say that your placement at Burswood sounds really fanstastic - it seems you got to try your hand at a lot of different things and I'm sure everyday was different. That's what I'm really looking forward to when I get out into the industry in a few weeks - something different to work on all the time, with lots of challenge and diversity.
Hey Erin,
It really was an awesome placement. I was involved with all aspects of the PR department and in the first half every day was very different. Towards the end I started to have a bit more responsibility for everyday tasks and it became a little repetitive. But I have been there for nearly 15 weeks and I guess thats what happens in any workplace when you've been there for so long. In saying that, if i did get really bored all i had to do was ask to help out with something else or work on a different project for a bit of a change!
So it was really great.
Post a Comment