Thursday, June 25, 2009

Red Shirted Independence

Today is Red Nose Day, and to mark the occasion the entire office wore something red! I have just finished my first week of work experience at the Department for Communities, and have already earned the honour of working on projects independently!

It began on Tuesday, where I was working on the second edition of the “Living Histories” project. This project is amazing- seniors from all over Western Australia sent in their stories and experiences of WA in the 1950s to the Department, to be edited and published in an electronic publication. Why is it in an electronic format and not book format? Well last year they had around 170 stories sent in which was produced in a 2.5kg book, however this year over 650 stories were sent in!! So as you can imagine, it would not have been feasible to create something so large for this year. My job was to check that all editing has been corrected, so to prevent disappointment from any seniors if their story was incorrect (spelling, grammar etc) once the publication was released.

I was the fourth person to check editing again (including professional editors that had been hired outside of the Department), and one other to check after me. After all this double checking you would think that this job would have been boring as the stories would have been 100% correct right?

Wrong. I found so much editing that had been made on the original versions, which had not been carried out onto the final versions- that my days (I took two full days on this task) were very busy. Some of the stories were so interesting- Western Australia sure seemed a very different place in the 1950s!!

This task was so interesting, as whilst at university I knew that a tactic we could use was to create a tribute book (I have even used this tactic for some of my assignments) However, when actually implementing this tactic, the amount of work is extraordinary!! I never expected so much time to be dedicated to this type of tactic. A team is specifically dedicated to this project. This project has been in operation for a year now, and it still has a long way to go.

I have also been working on my own little project independently. On Tuesday we had a stakeholders meeting, and they were mentioning a project that had been run in the past- CAT Trails. The stakeholders were very keen for the project to be run again, however in our team meeting which followed; it was ‘pushed out of the window’ so to say, due to lack of time allocated to the tactic. After I had finished my Living Histories editing, I approached my employer for more work. Seeming unsure of what to allocate me, I offered to take the CAT Trails under my wing- and have been in charge of it ever since. Today I finally completed the background research required- and on Monday we are organising a meeting with my employee’s boss to show her my work, and get approval for the tactic to go ahead! It’s so exciting working on my own little baby J

Remember to nominate a senior for the seniors awards, closing dates are nearing! (See last post- High Heels and Coffee) Application forms are downloadable on
www.seniorscard.wa.gov.au

LM

1 comment:

Cheryne said...

good luck. so envy you that u work on a project independently as in my agency teamwork speaks itself. :-)


hope you will do well and share more about that soon.


grace vaihung low