Monday, August 24, 2009

An awesome opportunity

Hello there to all who are doing their placement wherever it may be. Hope all is good and having a fun time experiencing new stuff and learning new things at your respective companies.
This is my first post on my placement so here's a little bit of introduction on which company i'm in and what is my role. I am currently doing my placemet at the Alzheimer's WA based in Wembley. I am currently under the department of Public Affairs doing things such as internal newsletter, assisting in the fundraising and public affairs function of the organisation as all of these events relates to marketing and communication plan which is also PR. I am now currently in my 7th day of working at the centre. Apart from all these task that i am to do, i am also asked to write news release for certain events. Getting media contact and sending out media releases to them is part of my task as well.
Throughout my years of doing PR units, i am especially drawn to events management which most people are drawn to as well. I find it very exciting and the success of the end product of the event is a happy experience. The people that work in this organisation are majority people who are much older and there are also alot of volunteers which comes in from time to time to help out in preparing for any upcoming events. Among the staff, there are also few other students who are currently doing their placements in various departments such as education, theraphy and so on.
My latest task was to prepare the internal newsletter for the month of September. I really enjoyed this as i have the interest in desgining newsletters and compilling it. Thankfully i have exposure in doing newsletters back in my diploma years that made things rather easier. However, compiling the newsletter wasn't the most exciting task i have.
I was exposed to my first event in this company which was the Mary Chester Club Tea Dance which was held last Friday at the Government House Ballroom. Indeed i was very excited as an international student, i get to step into the Government House which probably local's themselves never really have the chance to step into as well! I even got to meet the Governor of WA in person! He was the VIP for the event who officially open the 2009 tea dance.
The event was filled with lots of old folks from various different homes around WA. It wasn't like any other events which young people would attend but for me, attending this event was a great eye opener as well as a great joy to see the old folks gather together and have a great time. I find it somewhat cute that the old folks just dance to the beat of the music. There were people as old as 93 too! It was definitely an experience to deal with people with dementia (memory loss / alzheimers).
I am really glad that i have this opportunity as it helps me understand more about Alzheimer's and also how PR works in an NGO. This IS indeed a priceless expereince that i will cherish and learn more about.
Till then, look out for my next post on more exciting updates.
Regards,
Sharon

No comments: