Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Government PR and NGO PR

Hello everyone!

I read the previous posts from the other students, it seems they're having so much fun! =) All the best for us!

Well as I realised and make a sort of analysis and compare the government PR (I'm currently in) and the NGO (majority of the students) is different in some ways.

As example,

Media release - In most NGO, the PR usually write media releases and submit it to the editor. But in government, particularly where I'm currently doing my internship now (Miri City Council) is different, what my supervisor does are usually just writing press statement then distribute them to the journalist from different newspaper. Not only that, the press statement has to go through the state government in Kuching to get approval before releasing it to the media. SO it is quite a long process. Any event, or full council meeting, my supervisor (the PR manager) will invite the journalists to attend the functions, after that my supervisor will bring them to the Press Room to discuss and to summarize and brief the journalists on what the events about and etc. Its sort of controlling what the journalist will release to the prints. A strict government policy.

In brief, its different! =) However, at least I have the chance to intern in the government, because its quite hard to enter the government organization. Because after the interview, if anyone would want to work at the government for permanently, they must take the government examination.

=)

Good luck!


Regards, Agnes Nyelang

1 comment:

Joyce said...

From what I have read on your blog, it is a world of difference between government PR and NGO PR.

In the NGO where I am working, there is no such control on the flow of information they want to convey to the public. If so, they will voice out their opinion clearly to the government that the organisation is an autonomous one, free of government control.But with a strict government, this is not possible unfortunately.

Yes, indeed they are good at network management as for an NGO, it is good to have a good one to be more efficient.

Sincerely hope your supervisor will tell you to update their contact list as this will help you to create ties with the journalists. Thus, it will be useful for your future career.

Thanks and hope yours also will be a good and enriching experience too.

Keep me afresh of any news.
Regards,
Joyce