Hi all,
This is my first blog but I'm already a little over half way and have had mixed results. During my first week at RMPR I managed, on my own, a Mandurah Community Open day for one of our clients. It went really well and I was happy that I was actually getting to do 'proper' PR-stuff. However this didnt last. Ever since then my work days have mainly consisted of filing. And if I don't manage to finish it then they save it until the next time I come in - which could be anywhere upwards of a week! My boss is also very pedantic and so a simple task which should take only half an hour ends up taking two hours because he constantly changes his mind on what it should look like or how it should be done.
I've also found, like some others, that it is always expected that I know how to use any computer program and that I can find a way to do next to anything on the computer. This is very untrue and often it takes me hours only to find that what he is asking cannot be done on power point or publisher!!
I have also come to the realisation that my course has not fully equipped me with all the necessities needed to be a PR practitioner just yet. As I am a mass communication student, I have not done that many PR units. I think I have done around 6, including this one, and therefore I keep feeling like alot has been missed. On more than one occassion my boss has asked me something that I have never learnt and he has to explain it to me.
One thing that is interesting that I've learnt here is how the PR proffession is a slippery slope and how easy it is to fall. When I began my work experience in the holidays we had a guy working with us who has since been asked to leave because of unproffessionalism. He was such a lovely guy it just shows how easy it is to be seduced by it all.
However, ever the optimist, with eight days left I'm hoping the best is yet to come, although this does seem unlikely at this stage.
Steph Mader
3 comments:
Hey Steph,
I too found out how us Mass Comm PR students know little about the reality of PR. But look at it this way, when have you ever learned more in theory than in practice, so I guess sometimes we have to do the lame tasks in order to learn from the professionals.
In the meantime, 8 days is plenty of time to get some last minute PR experience, maybe talk to your supervisor. I spoke to mine and I got to do a little more hands on things (rather than filing).
Good luck,
Ivy
Steph,
I thought I was alone on this matter of filing and paperwork. But mine is worser I supposed, I cant do much things, or even contribute ideas. As it will have to go through the government state's approval. Yeah, I'm currently interning with the local city council. Relaxing and the people there super friendly and helpful. My seniors warned about Miri City Council is bad place for intern, but I still go for it. I realized that doing lame tasks is better than nothing at all. I learn and observe. Its really fun watching them.
But here's what you can do, you can ask your supervisor about what you can do. ANYTHING AT ALL. Any office work will do just fine. At least you have the full mark for enthusiasm.
Sometimes I think the reason why they wont let us handle the serious tasks, maybe afraid we might screw them up. Like in my case, since government has strict policy on sharing information.
All the best =)
Regards, Agnes
Hello Steph,
It seems like many of us are doing admin work rather than PR stuff.
I have also been doing lots of admin stuff as well such as photocopying, cutting of paper, printing etc. It is boring and I did not really do a lot of PR stuff (except making sponsorship follow up calls).
Other than that, there isn't much for me to do and i spend a lot of my time chatting with my supervisors (guess i'm learning something from them through communication).
Since you have a few more days to go, persevere and hopefully you get more PR stuff to do. Have fun and good luck!
Regards,
Hendro Braristo
Post a Comment