Hi again!
Finally, my placement is coming to an end in a week time. So far, I have learnt so much more other than just public relations. World Vision has a lot of different events. The events from only one target market to in conjunction with lots of other NGOs such as "Walk against Warming".
In personal, I think it is important to have the same belief, values or perception as the organisation you work with. In that way, it is much easier to target the specific market and collect the right information. A lot of World Vision events involved advocacy work. My recent task is to search contacts for some upcoming events. The majority of the target markets are churches and christian organisations. It is hard for me to analyze the research because I have zero knowledge about churches and christian organisations. Also it could just be me generaly not too interested about advocacy work which makes it even more difficult. What I am trying to say is, public relations may contribute a very minor part to the final work, however, you will first have to believe in what you are doing in order to persuade the others.
On the other hand, I have seen the power of networking and relationship between people. Last week, my supervisor asked me to research some information about one of the event World Vision wants to collaborate with. We found out the organiser of this event is someone he used to work with. After a 5minutes phone conversation with the organiser, he got the permission for WV to collaborate with the event. I was just carried away by the social networking skills that he has.
This week, I did some logistic work such as sorted out 1500 picture folders:( , entered spread sheet and prepared materials for the christmas campaign. Nothing really exciting but I am still enjoying it!
I hope we all get a hand on our report since it is due next week!
Ok! Bye for now, will update soon
Kath :)
5 comments:
Hello Kath Chiu.
I hope you are enjoying your internship as much as mine;)
I'm interested when you said that It is hard for you to analyze the research for an upcoming event because you have zero knowledge about churches and christian organisation. Therefore, how do you get started with analyzing the research? Do they give you a briefing about some organisations that you can get started and provide you with some filed informations from their news archive etc. or you had to do everything from zero yourself?
As for me, when my place had ask me to do research about investment banking which I have no idea(and interest!lol) about it at all, they at least provided me with sufficient material to get me started..
Hope to hear from you soon;)
Hello Kath Chiu.
I hope you are enjoying your internship as much as mine;)
I'm interested when you said that It is hard for you to analyze the research for an upcoming event because you have zero knowledge about churches and christian organisation. Therefore, how do you get started with analyzing the research? Do they give you a briefing about some organisations that you can get started and provide you with some filed informations from their news archive etc. or you had to do everything from zero yourself?
As for me, when my place had ask me to do research about investment banking which I have no idea(and interest!lol) about it at all, they at least provided me with sufficient material to get me started..
Hope to hear from you soon;)
btw, hope you will be able to comment my posts too if you don't mind. Its under the label Nik Izni.
Thank you again!;)
http://pr393reflectiveblog2.blogspot.com/search/label/Nik%20Izni
Hi Kath,
Sounds like a very interesting internship and what a rewarding place!
With regards to your comments on finding it difficult to search contacts for upcoming events as you feel you don't have any knowledge in that area, I find when situations like this occur, step out of your body for a moment, speaking metaphorically of course and put yourself in the shoes of a church or a Christian organisation member. Literally imagine yourself in the mind space of someone receiving an invite to one of World Visions events and think about how they would react, who they would show it too etc. This may also help your to understand who you should be targeting.
In addition another method, may be to visit church or Christian organisation websites - they sometimes have upcoming functions or write-ups on previous functions, which may help you understand what makes them tick.
Anyway, these are only suggestions and what has worked for me, at the end of the day I do agree with you, there does need to be some kind of underlying belief in what your doing, however in saying that it doesn't need to be forever, it could just be for the duration of the task your doing to get yourself in the headspace.
Hope this helps in some way
Let me know how you go
Olivia
Hi Kath,
I enjoyed reading your entry since I was thinking of volunteering myself at the World Vision before =)
Anyway I totally agree that we should have the same value as our organization does. I guess that’s the best way how we could represent the organization. By believing their values and acting accordingly.
All the very best
Annice
Post a Comment