Hi everyone,
If you hadn't noticed I have only just started blogging today, one day before the due date (there goes the Consistency of contributions mark, I know my own fault). I do still have some valid reflections on Public Relations from my internship. This blog is about deadlines.
All throughout university I really struggled to keep to assignment deadlines (I'm sure some of you relate to the late night panic to get it all in) I never failed to hand in work though. I was actually a bit apprehensive prior to starting my prac at Diabetes WA (DWA) about meeting deadlines and to an extent whether this would carry on into my career. The career FAQS textbook highlights the need to be able to meet deadlines. However my experiences on my internship totally wiped the stress of this away. On my third day at DWA, in the afternoon I was given the task of calling up 2 diabetes sufferers for interviews, get some good quotes and write 2 media releases for their local papers. And I just did it, no procrastinating, no dwelling on it just did it. My supervisor even commented on the speed I did it all in and commended my writing skills (it made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside). One of the articles even got picked up by a community paper. This is just one example of how I am able to perform and meet deadlines outside of uni. I also do lots of volunteer work which requires me to get things done in a allotted amount of time. I actually find it uncanny how I can be motivated to meet deadlines in the real world (even when I'm not being paid) and not at university. Shouldn't it all be equally important or even similar because instead of meeting the expectations of your lecturer, we now just have to meet the expectations of our bosses. We would all agree they are equally important. Could our ability to meet deadlines whether in uni, on a placement or in a paid job be related to the value we put on the task. I hate to say it but it might be. I deep down value practical experience and paid work over academic knowledge. (Katharina don't hate me, I still love and value what I've learnt these past 3 years) In the last 4 months on prac (June, July, August and September) I have learned an incredible amount of things and put into practice so many of the skills I learnt about in doing assignment and going to different lectures, that I kind of wish we were given more opportunities to do this sort of thing towards our degree. (Again, I guess it is up to us to find these opportunities ourselves and get out there and do it.)
2 comments:
Jess I have always had the same problems with deadlines too!
Never one to have the assignment in early I really was stressed that the fact that I had mastered the art of procrastination might have a negative affect on my placement.
However, like you, it seems I have learned that if I am doing something practical, and that is enjoyable, then I seem to be far more productive.
Hopefully now I can find an enjoyable job so I can kick the procrastination to the curb once and for all!
Hey,
I think it's what all student would go through with deadlines. Then on to working life, meeting deadlines for work. I guess one of the reasons why as students we procrastinate a lot is because the fear of getting fired by the boss is not that strong. But i would agree with you that being in PR line, meeting deadlines are critical as we are always on the go to to ensure the event is done well if not we might ruined the reputation of our company to clients. I guess, this works not just on PR line but in all other areas of work.
As long as we enjoy what we do, i guess we hav no problem meeting deadlines.
Hope we all can find an enjoyable job in the future which makes deadlines easier to meet.
Cheers,
Sharon
Post a Comment