Monday, October 19, 2009

End of Year Events

I still can't believe this year is coming to an end! With the year end, comes all the end-of-year events - Melbourne Cup, Christmas etc.

I am currently in the process of organising these 2 events, which I thought would have been a little easier this year to find venues, as I was under the assumption that companies would have been cutting back due to the GFC (Global Financial Crisis)...Moral of the story - never assume!

Perth is completely booked up from November till the end of the year when it comes to Christmas functions, so I have now a slightly bigger challenge to think outside the box, but still adhere to the Area Managers requests. Before the start of the "silly season" I sit down with him and go through exactly what he wants and doesn't want for the Cup and Christmas.

This year he gave me a budget to adhere to, a very specific guest list for both, menu expectations, venue exclusivity and dress standards. After much research and many booked out restaurants and function centres, I have found 3 places in Perth, which I have placed tentative bookings and am now awaiting RSVP's from staff to make my final decision, as each restaurant can cater for different sized functions, however all match the rest of the criteria.

Events are a very important part of a business, they provide a social outlet in a business environment. Coming from an events background, I have experienced many different areas and types of events, which help me plan each event as well as accommodate requests. This, by no means it is ever easy, as it involves negotiation with the venues, constant updates to the function requester as well as liaising with event suppliers such as chair hiring, tablecloths, centrepieces etc for every function and every function is always different and involve new challenges.

All said and done, I agree with the majority - events still is the best part of PR!

Olivia 20th October 2009

3 comments:

jaleesa said...

Hi Olivia,

You sound really busy and I have to agree with you that event management is what I have also found to be the most enjoyable aspect of public relations!

As you mentioned whilst it has elements of stress and can get a bit hectic at times the importance it holds for employee socialization and so forth is very important and makes it all worthwhile!

Good luck with your two events I’m sure you’re planning and experience will see them go off without a hitch!

Anonymous said...

Hello Olivia,

I agree with you and Jaleesa. Out of all of the aspects of PR I have experienced, organising events is definitely my favourite!

Although it is probably the most stressful part of PR, it can also be the most rewarding when you see all of your hard work come together.


During work experience recently I assisted with the management of two events - a ball and an awards night - and I never realised how much "behind the scenes work" goes on- before, during and after the event. Whilst the guests are having a good time, there are people worrying about every little detail!

I hope you enjoy the events, it sounds like you are really organised!

All the best :)

Jodie Leishman said...

Hi Olivia

I think this time of the year must be the busiest for all PR people! End of year Christmas events seem to take up most of my time at this time of the year. At my work, there is a separate Christmas event to be organised for doctors, secretaries, social club and stakeholders. That’s on top of every department doing the own smaller functions (luckily I don’t have to organise those!).

The biggest one I do is the staff / social club function and because there is over 500 people that attend, I have to book the venue 12 months in advance! Even then, the dates are limited, for example this year although I booked in January the only date that was available is a few days before Christmas.

Events are very important for both internal and external relations. I know it’s a great morale booster when staff get together and ‘let their hair down’ for a night. It’s also great for external stakeholders as it gives the management an opportunity to build a relationship with stakeholders out of the business environment.

I remember my first event (which happened to be a 500 plus person ball) was hectic, I had no idea what I was doing, I was completely thrown in at the deep end. However, since that event, I have found them very easy. Once you know what you need to do and what tools you need (check list, running sheet etc) it becomes easier and easier every time. My problem with events is I HATE delegating! I know it’s bad, but one year I delegated and the event was completely messed up. It damaged my reputation and there was nothing I could do about it. So now I tend to do everything myseld, which I know isn’t ideal. My most favortie thing about events is being able to be creative. I often theme events and have fun picking the centre pieces, decorations, colours and entertainment.

I hope your end of year functions go well.

Jodie Leishman