I have now completed my placement with DPR. Actually I completed it a few weeks ago now and have been very confused as to why I have so much free time on Mondays and Tuesdays!
There are a few things that I've learnt that aren't very scholarly, however I'll mention them anyway as they apply to this overall profession.
I don't like working in an office and I don't like communicating via intranet or email. However calling people isn't always the best option either. Face to Face is the best way to deal with most situations - even when super busy. I figure it takes longer to open and read and reply to an email or ring back someone than it does to have a 2minute chat.
At the moment I have just finished writing up an essay based on identity and image reputation and brand for another PR unit. As a result of my research I have come to realise how important it is to so business the right way. Every where I look now I see PR and how it contributes to the reputation, image, branding and identity of an organisation.
Westfield for example. when you hear of Westfield shopping centres, you typically imagine obviously, shops...food courts...cinemas..lots of people.. lots of cars. That's the physical tangible elements. Then there is the 'experience' factor, and all those things our senses pick up. And then there is what puts these tangibles and senses in the one place. Every new event, new attraction, new movie, new shop, needs publicity. Even the old attractions still need publicity. Everything needs to be communicated to the public and the stakeholders associated with Westfield. Westfields' identity (or personality)would be a -from my point of view- middle class, easily accessible, and family friendly, yet modern, quirky and socially aware.
This is communicated through the 'Trinny and Susannah" appearances. These two stylish women, help women in particular with dressing according to their figure and in doing so address the constant issues of self image and confidence that many women deal with. When Westfield supports this type of publicity, they demonstrate how their reputation of 'being in touch with the modern everyday consumer' is formed. The Westfield brand is also reinforced as people associate certain attitudes towards what Westfield stands for.
Getting off track here.. it all comes back to PR however as PR practitioners are the communicators in charge of 'selling' these ideas intangibly through mediums that reach and improve our awareness, knowledge and senses.
One important lesson I learnt in the last few weeks, was when I was creating a database of all the inbound tourism operators in WA. There isn't actually a list anywhere that tells you who they are - not sure why. But there is an organisation that contains all this information and it remains confidential except to those who are members. Obviously it is financially and success related otherwise this would be public information. Anyhow as I was researching and entering my findings i also had to call them so as to ensure the information i was finding was up to date and correct. This is why I don't particularly like calling people. I would call one and they would be happy enough to listen to my dodgy story about creating a database for future clients and then tell me whether or not they were inbound or not. Others however were quite agitated by the fact that someone knew their details and were frightened of being called (as a telemarketer does). Some people didn't believe my story and insisted on asking a thousand questions, that i had no idea the answers to, as I only knew the bare minimum anyway.
Naturally at the time I was very eager to finish this silly database that was causing me such stress. Another negative, was that it takes sooooo looong! so apart from feeling relatively inefficient, ineffectiveness and cluelessness also came to mind.
However looking back now, (not so stressed or negatively charged) i understand the importance of why that database - and the other 5 i had to do- were so important. I know that one day I will probably see all my research acted upon through a PR strategy for the jewellery company Rosendorff. I hope to at least! I assume the rest of what i know is confidential so i won't tell anyone...but just keep an eye out (and wallet) if you're a high earning figure in business somewhere :)
Appreciation and Recognition. These are two forms of praise that PR people don't often get. I asked Jen the senior account manager at DPR one day, how she dealt with being the shadow behind all the success she generates. Jen said she didn't mind and very much expected the praise to rarely reach her. Obviously, when she gets a great one-pager for a client, the client is going to be over the moon. But, that client is paying for her to get that, so it is expected to be seen. Some clients are more grateful than others. Jen's tips were to maintain the relationships with the people who get that one-pager. For example the journalist who decided to take the story brief and images and get it published.
Following on from this the question of gift -giving came up. Jen doesn't believe it's bribery or deceitful at all. in fact she thinks its either common sense of common courtesy to give gifts to those who are going to get her the publicity she needs. If a hamper of Fitchips is going to get her a sentence of publicity on prime time radio, she will make sure she gets those chips fresh, hot and ready to eat whilst the presenters are presenting - pr just before. When the publicity has already been gained, a bottle of wine, a voucher, a movie pass, a VIP -something, is a fantastic way to thank the person who ultimately got that publicity.
Some clients blame the PR person when a slip -up is made by someone much further along the line of publicity. Recently Air Asia, gained some publicity - I'm unsure whether it was broadcast or print, i just heard the phone call of abuse being discussed- the name had been written or said Asia Air. What a boo boo! the client was thoroughly displeased understandably, however took it out on Jen instead of the person further down the chain. Jen said this may happen from time to time and its really important to just take it. Explain obviously the difference between DPR making the mistake and the actual situation, but don't lose the client over it -just promise a better result next time and achieve it.
So these are a few of the lessons I've learnt over the last few weeks but it's still good to hear it all the same.
This is my last contribution to the blog... bye!
1 comment:
Hi
I hope you enjoyed your placement at DPR.
I agree about the internet and email communication, it seems like everything is communicated this way now, even easy, 2-minute questions. I think some people like to have everything in writing, so if something goes wrong, they have the evident to prove otherwise. I also find I get a quicker response sometimes on email than if I called and leave a message! Some companies are even setting up instant messaging, so eventually we’ll probably find phones being used less and less. Which is strange because phones were the technologically which stopped people talking face to face and now email and instant messaging is stopping people even talking on the phone!
I used to work for Westfield in London and I think you were spot on about their image. They have created a brand which is very middle class, almost luxury shopping. While I was in London I worked on Westfield London, which is the name of a centre which opened about 1-2 years ago. The opening was very spectacular, they had the Prime Minister Gordon Brown attend as well as many other celebrities. They got tv media coverage all the way over in Australia for the opening. The shopping centre has things like a 5-star food court and a floor of only designer shopping. In some of their America centres they even have valet parking! I think the Australian Westfield brand is possibly a bit more relaxed to fit into the Australian lifestyle, as you said the centres seem very family friendly and easily accessible.
I tend to disagree with the appreciation and recognition part of your blog. Only because I find PR one of the most rewarding jobs, mainly because everything we do is ‘showcased’. For example some other staff (such as accounting) tend to work behind the scenes and no one sees the work they do. In PR we almost always have something to show for our work (whether it’s a newsletter, annual report, database or event). There seems to be a tangible outcome of every task we do. For example I always organise events and I usually get a massive bouquet of flowers from the CEO. I tend to feel bad because it was my job to organise that event, and there are many other people that help out but I get the recognition.
I hope you enjoyed your placement and glad you learnt some new skills.
Jodie Leishman
Post a Comment