This week my mentor asked me to try not to be so formal with my emails. I remember he said to me one my first day that my personality is my asset, and in the music industry people would respond better if the formalities are less and friendship is more. He said that in our organisation everyone has such different personalities, and to not be afraid to show abit more of me.
It is a hard thing to adapt to as in my 3 years at university I have learnt to do my tasks taking on a formal business tone. In my internship I have learnt that this voice is not always necessary. Do not be fooled by the relaxed atmosphere of communications in the local music industry, they work really hard, often for little money, but it is this drive and work ethic that earns respect. It is indeed a small industry and everyone seems to know or at least heard of each other.
Since taking this advice on board I have found doing followup emails more enjoyable and has evoked more of a response from my media contacts. On a personal note, it has made me feel more part of the organisation, I may only be an intern but it sure doesn't feel like it!
No comments:
Post a Comment