Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Finishing my placement... Starting my career

Hi everyone,
Even though my placement came to an end a couple of weeks ago, I managed to secure myself a part time job at my comapny, taking the official position of the Public Relations Assistant. I was so excitde to be offered the job, which I hope will turn into full time employment early next year.
A job is seen as one of the best possible outcomes of work experience, however I belive I got so much more out of it. By completing this unit, I got a real life insight into what it was like to work within the Public Relations field, and I LOVED IT. Even though at times it was hectic planning events, stressful meeting deadlines and on occassion overwhelming, what I learnt from the experiences I had I will use througho0ut my entire career.
I belive that the literature I learnt, from previous units I took at university, provided me with the skills necessary to enter the workplace, but I feel that this unit gave me the opportunity to build upon these skills and apply them more effectively.
Throughout my internship I gained a better understanding as why it is so important to build strong relationships and found coming out of university I had no long term relationships with key people, such as media personnel or government personalities. However, looking back over the past few months I belive I have already started to build a number of strong relationships with people that will be very beneficial to have throughout my career.
Even though PR3993 is one of the last units I will take at university, as my degree is coming to a end, I view it as the opporuntity that began my career.
I hope all of you enjoyed your placements just as much as I did, and got what you wanted out of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alex,
I am Youshrina from Mauritius campus. Reading your post, I get the feeling that you had a really exciting and amazing internship. Congratulations for securing such an interesting job. I totally agree that though at times we have been through hectic situations and under pressure, the knowledge gained during our internship will surely help us in our future career, particularly if we are opting for the PR profession. In fact that was the purpose of the internship; to train us, to make us face the challenges and tensions of the PR profession so that we can better know what to expect when starting a career in a PR capacity. So, yes, definitely, all of us must have got something out of this internship.

Following the blogs, I have seen that many of us, including you, have participated in press conferences, meetings with shareholders among others. So, I believe the internship has allowed us to build our own network of contacts such as journalists and experts in the field. Before starting my internship, building contacts and relationships has been one of the most important expectations to me. Having been assigned to update the media contact list of my organisation has helped me to get to know journalists. I really enjoyed it.

PR393 is an excellent PR module that allows students to break into the profession. Thanks to the network I built throughout my internship, I am hopeful about my future career now just like you and I can feel the optimism in your writing ;).

So, now after having gained so much, I believe we should strive to keep the standard of professionalism and dedication to expand our experience and network. So good luck to you Alex.

Hope you are having fun with your report ;)

Youshrina

Edith said...

Hi Alex,

Well done on being offered a position!

It's great that you feel you got so much out of your placement, and that you can finally begin working in the industry we have all been studying about for so long now!

All the best with your new job - I hope everything works out for you!

Best wishes,

Edith
Bentley