I have been conducting my internship at Pigeonhole for the past 7 weeks, however this is my first blog post!
Pigeonhole is a Perth based fashion apparel company located in the Perth CBD. I am currently working in one of their two stores, in Barrack street's Bon Marche Arcade. In the short time that I have been working with the PR coordinator, Martina, I have been given a lot of responsibility, and for the most part it has been quite an enjoyable experience!
In the first few weeks of my internship I was given the task of promoting a new accessory brand that Pigeonhole is distributing: Assettes wallets. I produced a PR strategy, media kit, contacted potential print outlets, interviewed for quotes and kept in continuous contact with the Assette founders, to make sure my client was happy throughout the (short!) media campaign and with the results that yeilded. Assettes has now recieved coverage in Xpress, and the West and Frankie magazine have recently expressed interest in coverage as well.
This task has taught me the importance of thorough planning and working on a deadline, as I had to produce and edit and media kit in the space of a day. However, I found I was not under too much pressure in my responsibilities as Uni has prepared me to write up media kits, edit and proof read.
At the moment I am working on an event called "Lomovember", and have been given the task of organising volunteers and helping to promote the event.
Most recently I have arranged and set out the tasks for each volunteer that Pigeonhole has recruited for the event. This task has helped me to see how thorough you have to be as a PR Professional, especially in events management, as you have to organise everything to a tee! PR Techniques has prepared me for event management; however, in reality I find myself wondering if I have overlooked any tasks that need to be done before/during/after the event!
So far, my experiences have been positive and I have gained a lot of insight already into working in the real world. At first I felt a little overwhelmed with all of my responsibilities, but I guess practice really does make perfect. I've found the more I have been working, writing up checklists, conjuring media kits, etc, the more I have learnt about the industry, and its been getting a little bit easier to do it each time.
Rachel- Curtin Bentley
2 comments:
Oh wow! I am actually a big fan of Pigeonhole and was initially planing to ask Johann if I could have my internship there.
But I decided to try out and find a job through formal methods (ie. writing a CV, having an interview, etc).
I am slightly jealous of the things you do! It seems so much fun!! Especially since I love frankie magazine just as much as Pigeonhole! But I guess "the grass is greener on the other side" problem again!
I'm looking forward to Lomovember and what great work you and the Pigeonhole crew have put into it!
Hi Rachel,
I'm so envious, an internship at Pigeonhole sounds like great fun!
Just checked out the website and it looks very cool. I love Frankie too and the products look right up their alley - hope they publicize it.
Don't know if this helps but besides the traditional press kit and media pitching, have seen a lot of people creating fan pages on Facebook which helps create publicity too.
Am sure that Pigeonhole has tons of fans who would love to proclaim their love for it!
Yvette
Post a Comment