Hello everyone,
I have finally finished my PR placement at PPR!
I was so nervous going into this, thinking I wouldn't know how to do anything and I would be a complete failure of an intern, (PPR always has an intern so I knew I would have to make a good impression). I was relieved to find the work relatively straightforward, and my colleagues always seemed eager to help out so I was never out of my comfort zone.
When I first started, (having very little experience with PR at all) I was sure that working in a PR consultancy was for me. By the end of the four weeks, I decided that working in a PR consultancy may not be for me. That's why I think work experience is such an invaluable thing (and I'm telling all of my friends to get started on work experience as early as possible). At the end of the day, you can't say whether you will try like something or not, until you've tried it for yourself.
Professional Public Relations is truly a professional company. They have professional methods and procedures in place for handling everything. They have clearly defined job roles, templates and instruction manuals, and all consultants are held accountable for what they do with their time.
One thing I liked about PPR was the emphasis placed on teamwork and colleague cohesiveness. Within the MarComms department (where I was placed), everyone knows everything and there is such a high degree of transparency. The other day we had a MarComms group meeting, where basically all staff (including me) spent an hour discussing the future direction of one client - Midland Brick. It was a very informal meeting, everyone was throwing around ideas and I think someone was taking notes, but collectively the group came up with some very original ideas.
I have loved the whole PR393 experience - I think it has been a real eye opener for me as to what a large pr firm actually does. Whether or not I can see myself working in a consultancy, that I'm yet to decide.
I did learn a lot and I hope you did too!
Signing out,
Yvette
2 comments:
Hi Yvette,
I enjoyed reading your post because it highlighted the issue of job satisfaction, as you mentioned that working in a PR consultancy was possibly not well suited to you.
I completed my internship with the Perth International Arts Festival in an in-house media relations position. I enjoyed this because it was great to know all the staff were working towards the same final goal, putting on the event.
However, I also work in a Marketing Communications Consultancy in a paid position, and I enjoy this for different reasons. Particularly because there are always new projects and I find the high work load keeps me motivated. In the end, I think your enjoyment of the role comes down to the organisation's culture and the people you work with.
Would you agree? Why did you decide that a Consultancy PR role is not for you?
Thanks! Ros.
Hi Yvette,
Well done on completing your internship, and I think everyone felt some degree of nervousness and pressure when first beginning their placements haha!
I completely agree with you in terms of how valuable work experience is in being able to confirm what you want from a career or allowing you the chance to rethink what you thought you liked.
I was also determined to seek a job in a consultancy –I don’t know why I think I thought it seemed more exciting and fun –however having experienced working for a consultancy and comparing it to working in an in-house division at the moment I much prefer the later.
Both defiantly have their positives and negatives but I am much more inclined to seek jobs that are in-house company based.
This is something I would have been totally oblivious to if I hadn’t got out there and experienced the work we have been studying for the past three years!
Good luck for the future and beginning your career:)
Post a Comment