Thursday, October 15, 2009

Starting Small

Today I had to try and find some lesser known bands to play at the Colosoul Magazine Go Local concert next year.

This task has proved much easier than the previous one of trying to find a headliner for the event, and I was grateful for that!

The day was mostly spent listening to the music of various Perth acts, trying to decide whose sound best suited that of the event. And I must admit, this was probably one of the most fun activities I have had to do at work experience!

After I decided who I would like to play at the event I had to contact the bands and ask them if they would actually like to play. This was not as daunting as I thought, and the two bands that I got in contact with were both very pleased to have the support!

Now it's a matter of finding a venue, finding a headliner, and finding some money to put on the show!

Anyone have any ideas?!

1 comment:

Marie-Claire said...

Hey Chloe,

It sounds like you're working on some pretty exciting projects! If you're looking for a Perth band to headline you could try getting in touch with Birds of Tokyo, End of Fashion or Eskimo Joe. If you want lesser known bands you could try The Chemist or Day of the Dead who both get a fair bit of air time on Triple J. I'd also suggest you check out the One Movement Festival website (www.onemovementmusic.com) for some local bands that are playing in the showcases each evening of the festival. But it would depend on the type of music you're looking for.

As for money, a lot of government departments and local councils (you would need to determine the venue to approach the correct council) offer grants and sponsorship if the project's aims align with theirs. GrantsLINK (www.grantslink.gov.au) has a lot of information and even a directory that might give you some possible avenues to explore.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Marie-Claire