Monday, November 23, 2009

Day 2

Had my first proper day of work today. It’s pretty exciting to feel like I’m actually doing something with my life, other than going to a few classes a week at Uni. It’s made even more exciting by the fact that I’ve got my own office! The perks of working for a multinational I guess. I’ve done work experience in consultancies before and spent half my day playing musical computers with the regular staff just trying to get some work done. You just get stuck into something and all of sudden someone’s tapping you on the shoulder to get their desk back. Not so out here. I’ve got my own office – complete with a real life open and shut door – my own laptop, filing cabinet, phone, stationary. I‘ll be hitting them up for an assistant shortly.

My boss gave me the lowdown on her position. She says the difficulty lies in the autonomy that she’s got. She’s got the freedom to make all the decisions regarding tactics, but there’s no clear outline of a strategy from the organisation itself. From what I can deduce, it seems like the approach is just to throw handfuls of money at the community and hope they catch it. Apparently this will be changing soon through some restructuring, so maybe that will bring on a period of more robust strategy development.

Work for me to do is pretty sparse so far but I’ve started working on an article for the employee newsletter that comes out next week. Its strange how much more meaningful a trivial project is once your boss asks you to do it. An article for a newsletter wouldn’t even peak my interest slightly normally, but I’m actually excited about doing, and about how I can make it the best article that has ever gone to print in the Refinery News.

No comments: