Monday, November 16, 2009

My first event at Pigeonhole

Ok, so event management is definately not what it's all built up to be! A lot of my thoughts about it being glamourous, etc etc went out the window, along with my computer (well it would have if there wasn't important data on it!). My first event with Pigeonhole, Lomovember, did end up being a huge success with many people signing up for the silent auction and the gallery near reaching maximum capacity. However, in the afternoon leading up to it, there was a lot of rushing and running backwards and forwards from the office and the venue.



My days tasks consisted of: finishing the flyers for Lomovember and lomo workshops, helping to set up the gallery, creating and putting up signage and helping my supervisors with the prize packs. Although we managed to get most of the bigger jobs done weeks before the event, there were many little tasks left. This made me come to the conclusion that events management is probably one of the more difficult aspects of PR. I remember in PR Techniques how we learnt how to put together an events plan, check lists, rosters, and so on, but in reality there are sooo many things that you don't plan for. I did notice that we never had a crisis or back-up plan in case anything fell through, which makes me wonder- shouldn't crisis management be an integral part of events management?



In saying that, the night did go on without a hitch, and although a few minor details didn't workout- it didn't hamper the success of the night. I did manage to enjoy the nights festivities, and explore the world of lomography, something I wasn't familiar with before I started my internship.



Rachel :)

No comments: