Hi all,
I’ve just completed the 18th day of my internship and I’m busy compiling the final report.
I can’t believe that the internship is almost over. At the beginning of it I was thinking that 20 days were way too long. But now I realised how short the 20 days work placement is.
Anyway this would be my last entry and I simply want to share my insight as I am completing my report.
I just noticed the significance of Public Relations contributions to nonprofit organisations. Having worked for more than a month in a not-for-profit organization, I realized that working at the marketing department there is not an easy thing to do. It is challenging though.
The very nature of not-profit-organisations is non financial object and somehow they are seen by the public as “a good guy”. But the reality is that the organizations have to develop all their marketing programs to gain enough funding in order to run their programs. They have to be wise in their spending and they have to compete with other organizations to get funding, donations and even volunteers due to their limited resources. And I can see how important for an organization to work on their image and build their credibility in delivering the services. Their heavy reliance on media to spread out “the good work” is undeniable. In this way they attract public attention and get more donations and sponsors.
Feel free to drop your comment.
Annice
3 comments:
Annice, a nice image from your experience!
I am interested in your internship, because this is a NGO, where I never had the similar expeirence before , even I don't know how it operates daily and how the PR department should do, especially, I found you even worked in the marketing department.
well, basically, last sems, we got the opportunity to propose a PR strategy for UNICEF Malaysia, I mean, that was our first time to get to know the NGO, to be honest, I didn't gotta know they have the similar department.
Here, I will keep focusing on your following works, you know, so far, what you mentioned is just a daily work, furthermore, I would like to know your deeper sharing in the NGO's PR project. In my opinion, the major work of PR of NGO, is supposed to establish and maintain a wealth and stable relationship with government, so I wonder if it is smooth and diplomatic in your coming intern days
Good luck!
Hey Annice,
I hear what you're saying about NGO's having to develop a strong, clear image about the benefits they provide in order to get a piece of scarce funding. Having just finished my placement in Community Relations for a large mining company I've gotta say that NGO's (especially the smaller ones) need to make sure they pay attention to their level of professionalism too. I lost count of the number of sponsorship proposals that I looked through that were riddle with spelling, grammar and formating errors. A lot of the time a sponsorship proposal is the first introduction to an NGO and overlooking elementary things like that reflect badly on the applying organisation.
Hi Annice,
I'm also completing my placement for a not for profit organisation, at the Global Good Foundation.
At times it can definitely be frustrating, working with not only a tiny budget but also with very limited time constraints.
The board members at GGF all have full time jobs elsewhere, and devote their spare time to improving the lives of those affected by domestic violence. It's such an admirable thing to do and before I started I just assumed they were paid employees at GGF.
I am studying and working part time whilst completing my placement, so it's definitely tricky trying to coordinate a time to ask questions about tasks etc.
I think in a way we are lucky to complete our placements for NFP's, as we are learning how to deal with a tight budget early in our careers.
Budgetary constraints will always be an issue in an organisation but as we are learning to gain publicity, host events etc on an extremely low budget, I think we'll find agency work easier in the future.
Overall I enjoyed reading your blog, and it's nice to identify with someone else working for a NFP.
Caitlin
Post a Comment