Hello everyone hope you are all doing great and doing well with your internship.
I started my internship on the 23 November at GO International Group- NOVA PR. It is almost three weeks working in this company and the journey has been not that smooth as I faced some challenges beside that I have also gained a lot of experience.
For every change there is a challenge, so you can imagine from my learning theory at school to making it practical at work during my internship days. Most of all I longed for holiday rest as I learned that its not easy going to work daily. I got to realise that dealing with the media is not easy as I thought. For example sometimes when planning events the media lists lack information and sometime not helpful. As a foreign student it is not easy as sometime if you call the media they dont understand you and becomes tough for you to get the information that you want. Another thing is that press releases structures differs from that one that I have learned at school. I was not aware that a press release can include facts as much as possible . Without being aware of this my supervisor kept on saying that I have to redo the press release something that was giving me a headache but lastly I was able to write the way she wanted. I was given this task to write media advisory too bad I didnt know what to do, thank you technology! I quickly rushed to the internet and googled it to find what is it all about. I did my attempt and I realised that the way I did it was not suppose to be like that and I was given a sample to look at.
Thats are the challenges that I faced now to my experience. To me, all in all PR is all about time managament and punctuality. I got to learn and see and experience that the PR people are extremely busy people. I also observed that one has to be active and energetic so as not to be left behind. Furthermore you have to be prepared all the time for anything as these can be disappointing or unexpected things, like when the media dont pitch. For example we did these event called E Major Discovery opening day we did all the invitation to different media and do follow up with them and some of them confirmed that they will be availble. Guess what not even single one of them attended the opening, therefore this are the things that you have to be always be aware of them so that if they take place you can cope with.
Comparing to what we do in class sit and listen to the lecture in the company I had actually learned that you have to contribute much. Moreover I learned that feedback is very important in the PR industry, that is to say follow up a lot. Lastly I got to see that formality goes hand in hand with PR as I had already learnt in school. All in all I can say definately I learned a lot but the first few days were not that easy as I panicked and got nervous time to time.
Be bleesed!
Bantle, LUCT
I started my internship on the 23 November at GO International Group- NOVA PR. It is almost three weeks working in this company and the journey has been not that smooth as I faced some challenges beside that I have also gained a lot of experience.
For every change there is a challenge, so you can imagine from my learning theory at school to making it practical at work during my internship days. Most of all I longed for holiday rest as I learned that its not easy going to work daily. I got to realise that dealing with the media is not easy as I thought. For example sometimes when planning events the media lists lack information and sometime not helpful. As a foreign student it is not easy as sometime if you call the media they dont understand you and becomes tough for you to get the information that you want. Another thing is that press releases structures differs from that one that I have learned at school. I was not aware that a press release can include facts as much as possible . Without being aware of this my supervisor kept on saying that I have to redo the press release something that was giving me a headache but lastly I was able to write the way she wanted. I was given this task to write media advisory too bad I didnt know what to do, thank you technology! I quickly rushed to the internet and googled it to find what is it all about. I did my attempt and I realised that the way I did it was not suppose to be like that and I was given a sample to look at.
Thats are the challenges that I faced now to my experience. To me, all in all PR is all about time managament and punctuality. I got to learn and see and experience that the PR people are extremely busy people. I also observed that one has to be active and energetic so as not to be left behind. Furthermore you have to be prepared all the time for anything as these can be disappointing or unexpected things, like when the media dont pitch. For example we did these event called E Major Discovery opening day we did all the invitation to different media and do follow up with them and some of them confirmed that they will be availble. Guess what not even single one of them attended the opening, therefore this are the things that you have to be always be aware of them so that if they take place you can cope with.
Comparing to what we do in class sit and listen to the lecture in the company I had actually learned that you have to contribute much. Moreover I learned that feedback is very important in the PR industry, that is to say follow up a lot. Lastly I got to see that formality goes hand in hand with PR as I had already learnt in school. All in all I can say definately I learned a lot but the first few days were not that easy as I panicked and got nervous time to time.
Be bleesed!
Bantle, LUCT
5 comments:
Hi Bantle,
I have read your post and its quite inspiring besides the fact that you have been panicking from time to time. The theory we learned in school is less applicable here in the real industry but after all it does help us to have an insight of what to be done.
Time management is a very crucial aspect that we all have to stick to especially when dealing with clients who give you short notification on the project that they want your consultancy or agency to handle. I do hope that you will cope well and be on time together with your team players.
Referring to media, I agree with you, but I will say to you, be patient and always try your best, at some point at least one of the media lists will accept the invitation to attend the event. Its a disgrace that they did not turn up for the E Major Discovery opening day which may be have failed your project as it did not receive any coverage from the media. However, keep in mind that mass media is one way communication, if the targeted audiences were there during the opening and the support of the community I do believe that they have done the job on behalf of the media
Wish you all the best in your internship dear.
Thank you
Warm regards,
Tabona, LUCT
Yes Tabona , really i appreciate your comment there is lot of benefits from it like words of motivating, encouragement.
I guess the reason why I panicked is because it is my first time to get in the industry so i did not know what the industry is having for me. Now I know what is all about working, this has prepared me for my furture career.
communication is really important as you have already said without communication there is nothing that can go well and also team working is very crucial as we got to learn from one another. Coming together is the beginning of lot of things, keeping together is progress and working together is a success.
cheers!
Bantle, LUCT
Hello, i hope you are over the panic now and blending in and coping. Tabona is correct when she says what we learn in class is different than in practise. There does not seem to be a lot of rules about how to write a press release as we are often advised in class. Things are more laid back- if at all there has to be a backgrounder or fact shit it is just in brief and they can both fit in a single page.
I sympathies with you were you say you call people and some seem to not understand you. Thank goodness i have not come across such people, maybe because i deal mostly with English publications personnel, thus their understnading and speaking of the language is good.
However i do come across a few whom after i say hello they will immediately speak Malay, i just politely stop them and say "English Please", and they apologise and start speaking English.
Good luck.
Hey Lena!
hahahahah! "English Please" two words are just enough dear.
Lena I am coping and I am no longer panicking slowly slowly I am becoming an expert lah!
Thanx!
Bantle, LUCT
Post a Comment