Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Media Visit IS the clue

Media Visit IS the clue

This is my fifth week in S&A PR, things going not so hard for me, thank god.
This week entry will be about the ‘clue’ that I mention on my title---yes!! Is media visiting.
So far, I have been twice for media visiting, I find it Interesting. Why? Because I was able to see how my colleagues keep their good relationship with all the editors within all the media. I remember there was once I heard from my journalism’s lecturer, she was telling us about the PR company do when Christmas comes. She is an editor in The Sun newspaper; obviously she needs to deal with the PR people as well. So she was saying there was once during Christmas, PR company people were going to their office and sing Christmas song. This has become one of the way of the PR people keeping the relationship with the editors. The first time I was going to media visit is about a sunsilk event that our company is handling. We went to all the dailies and magazines to give out press release and also some Sunsilk hair product for the editors. I manage to know the editor in person I find it great because that is the point that we start and build a ‘real’ relationship with them. Obviously, the reason we want to visit them is because we want them to aware about the event which is going to happen soon and we bring along our client’s product for the editor for them as a gift. There was a question that we discuss about PR ethical before in PR class, the question is do u think is ethical of giving them gift and money? Well money is definitely unethical but how about gift? Well sometimes I think is unethical as well because it is like pushing them to cover on your event and until the point that I was doing this, giving clients product to the editors only I understand that it is necessary because it is good for them to know more about the product so that they could write on it as well.
So, what is our company doing since Christmas is coming? Well, we are busying represent our client to send out Christmas gifts and cards to the all the editors. The gift serves as a token of appreciation for covering the events of them. Well, as a PR practitioner, to maintain a good relationship with the media is part of your responsibility as well therefore you have no choice but to keep a good relationship with them even though there are thousands of reluctant in your mind.

Sign off here..
Would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas

6 comments:

John Loh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John Loh said...

That's an interesting question you raised about ethics in PR. Free gifts and samples can certainly seem like a bribe to sweeten the deal between journalists and PR people.

We sometimes act like promoters in the supermarket, waiting to pounce on potential customers with the latest range of soap or sausage.

But you have a point - how else would the media understand our products if they don't sample it first? And how would consumers understand our products if journalists do not?

I am reminded of those product reviews in beauty magazines where they compare creams, moisturizers, lipsticks, etc. The writers try out and rate different products so the consumer can make an informed purchase. Its the same thing with movie and restaurant reviews.

In a way, PR and journalism help contribute to better decision-making among consumers. What do you think?

geraldine said...

you are right. How can journalists and editors write about the products if thy don understand it? In fact, they are consumer as well. That's why my perception 'bribe' changed:)

meianne said...

Hey Geraldine.

We're back in the boundless sphere of ethical dilemmas - where gifts and smiles to the media are often labeled as insincere and deceitful.

However, as what I have established during the first month of my Internship at GO Communications, is that: "IT IS OK TO MAKE FRIENDS WITH THE MEDIA!"
We cannot all be bribe-givers and two-faced individuals for being genuinely appreciative towards the people we've come to like.

Yes, we may want them to cover stories on our clients. Yes, we may want more media publicity and PR value. But wouldn't it be nice to treat the people who took the time to respond (or guests who came all the way to your "house") for a good dinner or for a fun road trip so they could enjoy the things you've come to enjoy or are passionate about?

If it is done with courtesy, connectivity and gratefulness, then small tokens of appreciation are fine. My company usually present stuff to the media during or after an event, simply to thank them for taking the time to drop by.

geraldine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
geraldine said...

Ya, it is ok to b friends with the media because PR work closely with the media. But you know how some unethical PR practitioner 'use' the media for publicity.
I remember once my colleagues told me:" you know how some of the PR people behave in front of the media people and how they are when they are behind of them. Don't become one of them because this field is a small circle sooner or later it will get back to you."
I find it so true. Do not abuse any party. Be ethical:)