Thursday, January 28, 2010

The 3rd week of my Internship

Hi all

More updates from last week. Since this is my 3rd week, I definitely get to see more and have been learning quite abit.

Should start saying that I have been through a busy but fulfilling week, I was pretty much tied down with research work for a new client pitch and follow up on Media calling which I have to say that it is really a very time consuming and tedious task. Among all the other tasks I was being assigned, Media calling is a tough nut. Of course, some may say what is so difficult about calling the Media? Pick up the phone, dial the number and say:"Hello, so this is who calling from where and I'll like to follow up on the email we sent to see if it would be of your interest and whether you would be covering story?" I used to think that it should not be too difficult and I have never thought that it would be so hard to get coverage. It gets quite disheartening when you get rejections after rejections and not knowing when would someone say Yes, we are giving you a coverage.

Looking back, one probably needs to have a positive mindset and after a while you may get over it. Perhaps, I am still new to it, hence, I need some time to get understand this and digest it maybe ;)

Nevertheless, I think that having a pitch with newsworthy angles and a good opening para is so so important. These are probably the only info journalists look at when consider whether they would be running a blurb.

Enough said about the Media calling, shall talk about the Research work I have done for the new client pitch which I enjoyed it. I find it enriching and is an eye opening for me though spending most of my time during the past week on search engines like Google and Factiva. They played such crucial roles when one needed instant information. Going though the information source can be quite challenging though, as you need sieved out information based on their relevance and those info you think might be helpful to the team who is working on the pitch. In the process of it, I have learned so much about the client and their industry which I never thought I would.

That's all for now, shall bring you guys more updates in the upcoming week.

Regards,
Cinthia

No comments: