Thursday, January 28, 2010

Thank you Mr. Editor

Started my internship this week, and so far, its been quite good. Day 5 on the job began as usual, at 5 am- the traffic in Nairobi is a mess! In the past four days, I've gotten the chance to write a press release, and learnt that getting a press release out to the media involves much more than writing it and hitting the send button. I spent the day yesterday sending out a press release on one of our clients to different media houses in the city, and doing follow ups with the editors. Who knew that sending out a press release took so much time and effort? This morning when I got to the office, lo and behold, the press release I sent out yesterday had ran as a story in one of the newspapers I contacted yesterday- thank you Mr. Editor.
Oh, since this is my first entry, I should probably introduce the organisation I work for. The firm is called Corporate Talk and it's a PR and advertising company. It also deals with DSTV (equivalent of Astro in Malaysia) ad sales.
Hope today is even better than yesterday.
Cheers,
Liwami (LUCT)

1 comment:

Tiny said...

Press release is one of the most important tasks in Public Relations Industry, so since yours was published in one of the newspapers it really shows that you followed the steps we were taught in PR200 which is really good. It takes time to write press release and also takes time to send it to different media, mind that with press release someone has to be aware of the dates, subjects, the contact details, the topic, this makes the writer to be more focused and recall what we were taught in class.

1. You should have the media contact list and know which ones to send to.
2. You have to follow up and that means calling the media and asking whether they have received the mail regarding the press release....this is not easy at all.
3. You should put more effort when writing it, it should be written in a sense that it will grab the media attention and get it to be published.

I would say thats an experience you got there. Keep on impressing them, I wish you all the best.
Tiny....