Good day interns, my name is thato and I am working in Botswana railways public relations office. Botswana Railways is a state owned Railway Company that transports bulk freight, parcels and passengers, however is has stopped the transportation of passengers and now transporting only goods. It offers rail-based transport logistics solutions to customers needing to move a range of commodities for the mining sector and primary industries, such commodities include salt, coal cement and others.
It has been such a great experience so far, what I have come to notice is that public relations is like the head of the organization because what ever comes, come through the public relations to the organization. During the first week I had to be a fast leaner, observe a lot of things and put into practice. One of the challenges I have faced is that, at the time of my arrival, the public relations officer who was in charge had just resigned, I had to be strong and focus.
My first task in the office was newspaper clippings, I had to read every newspaper for that day and file any article about Botswana railways. The other thing was internal communications .As I have mentioned above majority of information comes through public relations, it is a communicator so I had to send memos internally. At some point I had to pick up calls from the media about the information I was not aware of creating a space for me to understand, learn and work as a public relations officer. I believe there is still a lot to come.
Thato
LUCT
2 comments:
hey thato
being an intern is quite an experience. your exposed to so much all at once. however it gives you a chance to learn and give back what you've done in school.
your fresh with ideas and can contribute greatly once given the chance and shown the ropes of how things work.
give suggestions,ideas. ask to do something,aid in something. Do anything and everything that will help you gain the experience.
I was very shy my first week,just sat in the corner and couldn't wait until knock off time.
now its my second week and I literally demand that they give me something to do every day,i ask to be involved in projects and go to meetings to listen to how things work.
Everyone gives me work to do,and they actually like my ideas.
Go for it. goodluck my dear.
-tumelo tafila-
Hy Lets...
Me 2 mi dear didn't expect intenshp to be that....I mean i thought everybody will be treating you just like one of them.But hey,my first day too was the worst,I even called my sister crying because everyone was busy on their computer,I wanted to go back and sleep.Well she gave me advice and when my classmates called me telling me the same thing i was relieved
But as times goes work become so much interesting,you became like a real professional.One thing I realised is that Pr is the backbone of everything in the company.
Well hope you are now enjoying the moment @ work,gud luck and have fun..
Esther Amogelang( LUCT)
Post a Comment