“Jenice, you come in at the wrong time lah (our typical Malaysian slang, haha). December is just a quiet month for Swinburne Sarawak. If you join us in March or July, you will be busy like hell!”
This is what my colleague Veronica told me when I first joined Swinburne Sarawak in the early December.
(Note: December = break; March & July = intakes)
Yea, it’s true. Coming to the end of my internship, it’s getting quieter and I have to admit that I am not doing as much as what you all have been doing throughout the placement.
But one thing that I have been consistently carrying out is reading newspapers everyday. I am proud to say that the media coverage for Swinburne Sarawak in 2009 is now more comprehensive and organised since I had filed and named them accordingly during my one-month placement here.
Besides, key in data of the questionnaires on our advertisements (that had been conducted during the Open Day) and come out with charts are also part of my works. It (survey) helps to provide a clearer picture for us in knowing how publics perceive Swinburne Sarawak and whether our advertisements work or not. It is always good to hear from both parents and students. Their feedbacks help us in improving our ‘brand management’ to certain extent.
Nevertheless, my internship in Swinburne Sarawak has definitely sharpened my mind and exposed me to another different kind of learning. Now, if someone asks me “How do you feel about PR?” I would say it is tiring, stressful, nerve-racking, yet interesting!
Before I end my last post, some Dos and Don’ts to share with you guys:
1. Do adopt a policy of truth.
2. Do treat all audiences equally and respectfully.
3. Do you homework.
4. Do prepare.
5. Don’t hide.
6. Don’t be afraid to say you don’t know.
For full article, click
Happy 2010 and all the best in the remaining of your internship ;)
p.s: Nadeha had kindly offered to extend my internship for another month and I said “Yes! (happily)”
*One month is just too short for me to learn from here, haha*
Jenice
Curtin Bentley
1 comment:
As an in house PR staff, especially working for the university, we do have our own timetable in tandem with the University’s schedule. Usually, before and at the beginning of each semester, there will be plenty of assignments to attend to and whether they are media releases or events, the purpose is to increase our exposure to the media and public in order to attract the attention of the students and their parents. This is with a view to inform them of our wide range of available courses and remarkable international reputation.
Post a Comment