Monday, February 22, 2010

Last week of Internship

This is my last week of Internship and it has been quite a journey. From sitting in the corner and not saying a word, on my first day, to being the most involved person in everything in the firm.

I went through articles, wrote internal company newsletters for clients, press releases, news clippings,wrote endless reports, took minutes at status meetings and contributed in communication strategies for potential tenders, as well as organizing the monthly Internal 'get together'. I even did some graphic design on an invitation for a client conference! Amongst many other things I did.

This kind of involvement gives much exposure to what its like working in the real world, and in particular the Public Relations world. After working at Hotwire Public Relations & Marketing consultancy Botswana, for 7 weeks, I feel I have experienced and learnt the ropes of working as a Pr consultant. Hotwire is a unique company that has a fresh approach upon verging in Pr.

The MD, Kabelo Binns describes Hotwire as ''a home of brand champions and seasoned marketers, who do not only develop, grow and mature brands but we are also specialists in relationships and management of perceptions.'' http://www.hotwireprc.com/documents/Hotwirism.pdf

There are many other communication houses in Botswana, and few that have the recognition that Hotwire does, holding very big firms as clients, in the likes of (Bifm)Botswana insurance fund management, (BTC) Botswana telecommunications corp, LEA, BMC, Stanbic bank, just to mention a few.

I have enjoyed my time at Hotwire and hopefully after I graduate they will hire me officially, as I feel I have contributed a lot and shown my capabilities as well as creativity upon working with a team and being professional.

- by tumelo tafila -
LUCT

2 comments:

Melinmelbourne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melinmelbourne said...

Hi tumelo,

Your experience sounds great. It is very interesting to read your post because my placement is finishing on Friday and I'm very sad about that. But thanks to your post I perceive the end from a new aspect. Through your post I feel like it is the beginning of something else and that at the end of your degree you will probably go back to that place for a job which is wonderful. I will try to handle the situation in that way Friday and not cry all the day along. I'm very glad for you as it sounds like you learnt a great deal of thingd and that you had a good general view of a PR position.
Good luck for this semester