Tuesday, February 23, 2010

MESSAGE DEVELOPMENT IN GOVERNMENT PR

Hello mates

It has been a a great week so far. Well,I want to share with you updates for last week. I never had chance because we had few workshops outside the city on environmental issues and pollution. I want to share with you the importance of message development on what you should bear in mind especially in government public relations. I believe this is what we have learnt since PR 102 when we were doing the topic on media strategy.

Once you have worked on goals, theme and an overall communication plan, success or failure will depend on your ability to carry it out in an oderly, and detailed way. Here are some approaches that I have realised to be useful at this stage especially in government Public relations.

-Pick a periodic theme: As usually each every organization do prepare the "must do" events on the calendar. Therefore it is vital to pick a theme for a certain time period, such as a week or month, relating to one of the goals to allow you to alternate the 'must do' events with your themes. For example; last week we had a theme for the week which was described as "environmental pollution reform", and what we did we scheduled different activities that are evironmentally pollution focused. Our team of 5 staff members including me, we went to Mochudi; a town village outside the capital city to educate the public on number of issues that result in mismanagement of waste such as burning and burying of waste, indiscriminate disposal of waste and talked about behavioural change. On the same week, other publicity staff members went to another town village to do the same thing focusing on that theme.

- Make a master plan calendar: Although it is necessary to write the theme for each week on a calendar for at least 6 months ahead, the calendar need to be updated frequently because unplanned events will arise and you will need to react.

-Identify audiences, media outlets & location:Ask this question; whom do you want to hear your message? May be you have several audiences such as elderly, students or women and each need a different focused message. What media outlets are there to deliver your messages? Are they respected third party allies who can reinforce your message? If my message is about clinical waste or chemical waste, which pollutants can you approach who deal with such wastes? To which media do they pay attention to?Don't just deliver message from an office, make a message visual and relative to what you have to say.

Written Materials: Have written materials ready available in advance for the media. This could include; Factsheet on your goals in environmental issues- explaining out what you want to do and how hazardous environment can impact the public and natural resources.Media advisories- Typically media advisory are used to announce upcoming events on which you would lik press coverage.Pleae note that this are PR tactics; very crucial especially to the media.

These are few steps I have learnt when developing a message in government Public Relations. I will give you my last updates on my final week of my internship this week as well.

I hope you lovely people have been learning a lot;I want to tell you something; its not about how big company or small it is;It's about number of activities and information which you need to give out to your key publics. In that manner, you bring the best to your company in what you do as well as good positioning of the brand for your organization.

I Bless you and please work hard to the fullest and always have the spirit of self-motivation and determination. Wait for more inspiring words from me this week as I will be finishing my internship.

Regards

Linchwe

LUCT

No comments: