Thursday, March 25, 2010

Blogging for the Global Good

Hi Everyone,

My name is Caitlin Harris and I'm completing my placement at The Global Good Foundation (GGF) this semester.

I should probably say I'm completing my placement for GGF as I'm not really working "at" any particular place...

GGF is a fantastic not for profit organisation who exist solely to benefit the lives of people affected by domestic violence. Last semester's consultancy students may remember doing our PR plan and pitches on GGF, but for those who aren't familiar with the organisation I've attached a link to their website.

As with most NFP's, GGF have quite a tight budget. As such we do not have an office to work in, so I work from home and complete tasks from a list that is emailed to me each day. I guess you could say I'm getting a taste of life as a "free-lance writer".

Free lance writing definitely has is positives. For example;
  • I can sleep in until 11am and then begin work in my lounge room.
  • I don't have to worry about dressing appropriately. Pajamas are the new power suits in my world.
  • I can complete tasks at my own pace and manage my time accordingly. I work part time at Burswood, dance, play netball and take French lessons, so being able to shift my time around is very convenient for me.
  • I'm finding I complete my tasks quicker than I expected as I have very few distractions.
These things being said I feel like I'm missing out on a big part of what work experience or an internship is really about. Getting a taste for working in the real world. PR is an industry I would love to get into once I graduate, In fact it is what I plan to do. So while GGF is such a great cause and I'm proud to be involved with them, it would have been nice to preview office politics and see what full time work is really like.

This being said, I'm excited about my placement because I know I'm helping with a good cause and my work is making a difference. I've already completed three media kits, so I'm building a nice portfolio of work samples for my self as well. Overall it's a win-win so far!

If your interested in GGF please take a look at our website particularly the 'Upcoming Events' section, and get involved :) www.ggf.org.au

No comments: