I’m currently up to day 14 of my internship at The Nationals WA and am happy with the work I have done so far. Last week, I probably had the most busy and stressful day so far at my work placement. The Nats annual conference was on the weekend and we still had A LOT to do. To put added pressure on, my boss’s house had been flooded by Perth’s big storm the night before so he had that to deal with as well. I was put in charge of doing the name tags and lanyards for everyone attending the conference (almost 200 people). Luckily, I was given an office girl to help me out for the day so I could give her tasks to do. My tasks included typing the sponsors, members and corporates names into a database, then dividing them into databases of who was attending each function during the conference. I then had to print the names onto special templates and put them into name badge slips. Phew! A lot to do in one day! On top of that, I had to help put together the gift bags.
What I learnt from this day was how important leadership and organization is in PR. There are so many tasks to be done before a big event like this and often they are left till the week before. It was nice that my boss trusted me enough to put me in control of a task and give me that responsibility. He seemed very appreciative afterwards as well. I’ve definitely learnt how time-consuming a task like this is. It’s so easy writing on a PR timetable, “do name badges, or do gift bags.” There are so many other tasks behind these like ordering the correct supplies, designing templates, typing up databases etc…
For any of you that are interested, the conference was covered in The West this morning. http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/6990201/grylls-calls-for-federal-royalty-plan-backing/
Hope your work placements are all going well! I’m enjoying reading about them. Good luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment