Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Contacting Community Development Officers

I have started an internship with the National Disability Services working specifically with the Companion Card Program. The program is a really excellent initiative and the work is quite rewarding however a lot of the time I must liase with local government agencies and the elusive Community Development Officer.
Community Development Officers are incredibly hard to reach sometimes because they are continually in meetings; out of the office; only in certain times of the week; or the reception doesn't like the sound of you and takes the call themselves.
I have learnt to be persistent because my role is to promote the Companion Card Program and in order to do that I need to be able to talk to these officers and explain to them the mutual benefits the system has to offer. I have also learnt that mail tends to get lost and emails not forwarded through correctly so making a phone appointment has proven to be the most successful method of communication. It is sometimes a bit inconvenient as the work can take a bit longer to get done because I am constantly waiting for phone calls, however it is the best to get local governments to affiliate with the program.
Talking on the phone is also beneficial as it builds up a more personable relationship with the ever elusive Community Development Officer and contacts are incredibly important in this industry. I am enjoying the work though and the fact that I am responsible for a lot has built up my confidence and abilities. I am learning new skills every time I'm in there and different facets of the industry.

No comments: