Working in a Magazine gives me the benefit of seeing the industry from both sides. As a normal, usual company that needs or invites the media for the magazines benefit and as a part of the media itself or as the 'press' that gets invites from major companies that needs the media's publication.
After the major event (CGOTY) that was held by CosmoGirl! the first week i started interning, i was taught by my supervisor that when representing CosmoGirl! i need to bring the image of the magazine whenever meeting with a client and what not. I was given a task to represent CosmoGirl! as the press to attend the annual International Music Festival in Jakarta; Java Jazz 2010's press conference. It was the first official press conference that i attended representing a media. Even though this is not part of my job as a PR person to attend press conferences my supervisor wanted me to experience how a big press conference is held in Jakarta. I was very amazed as working in a well known magazine such as CosmoGirl! i was treated very well.
I also saw how the spokesperson of Java Jazz handled the media, as the press that came was very vicious at asking questions. They criticized the event, asking many provoking questions, and this had to be handled very professionally by the spokespersons as the press has the right to ask what ever they wanted.
I was hen told that i had to know all this and how to plan and execute a press conference because there is a client that wants to work together with our magazine to hold a press conference about its new products. I wasn't told what the project was yet as my supervisor said it is still being discussed by my boss.
Overall it was an interesting week, as that week i had the opportunity to walk in the shoes of the media, and as we all know working in the circles of Public Relations the media is very very very important.
1 comment:
I interned at a not-for-profit organisation and the events it usually showcases are varied in a sense of the type of entertainment that usually have the objective of making a known mark in Malaysia and the organisation is very meticulous regarding the staff they have to represent the organisation.
Receiving a responsibility to be the representive of the magazine company sounds very interesting, something I wished I could've experienced.
Interesting week! keep up the good job!
Post a Comment