As I drove to Devahasdin Communications in West Perth, nerves began to set in. At the same time however, I could not wait to immerse myself in real world public relations practice. My colleagues were extremely friendly. Double ticks for internal communication. I was escorted to my work station and given a task almost immediately. Task one centred on imputing data into an excel spreadsheet derived from various newspaper sections for one of Devahasdin’s clients. This information was being built up weekly as part of a targeted marketing strategy to sell the client’s products to a niche market segment. This was fantastic. I was excited! Thus far, I had never been taught the value of extracting certain information for niche targeting. Not even 15 minutes into my internship and I had learnt an incredibly important tactic.
Soon after, my supervisor asked me to accompany him on a photo shoot! A different client – Opera Baroque, a newly established company in Perth had gained some news exposure in The Post (thanks to Devahasdin!). Consequently, a photographer met us at the Cottesloe Civic Centre to take the picture which would accompany the news story. Here, my supervisor taught me some lessons about media relations, specifically, photographers:
- Don’t be too controlling when at a photo shoot, unless absolutely necessary, let the photographer do their thing.
- Use a relaxed approach.
- When facilitating a photo shoot, ASK for suggestions from the photographer, only offer suggestions when requested.
- Allow the client to feel a sense of ownership and cater to their needs.
On the drive back to the office my supervisor gave me a lesson on ethics. Simply put, NEVER lie to journalists and respect the journalist’s job and their objectives– offer exclusivity where possible. Don’t try to get publicity, be completely transparent and deliver the facts of the story. Using this approach, exposure is more likely to ensure. Additionally, I was informed of various projects I will help work on and I can barely contain my excitement. Because one of Devahasdin’s clients is Westfield, we are facilitating renowned US stylist Carson Kressley’s tour of the shopping centres! Fashion is my passion, so I am thrilled to have been given this opportunity. Check out this fantastic PR event: http://bestyled.westfield.com.au/events

Upon returning to the office I received task two. Again, this was a task I had not previously learnt at uni. Working for Opera Baroque once more, I had to convert several CVs into bios. Sure it sounds easy, but it was quite a challenge. In order to do this, the skill of writing takes vanguard. To create a bio, you must tell the story of that person and romance it. When I completed one, my supervisor checked it and was impressed. I felt so good. My first opportunity to prove my capabilities was fruitful. For those of you playing at home – the purpose of these bios is to provide the media with background information concerning the main players of Friday’s news story. There’s one extra thing you can add to your media kit check list!
Thanks for reading and I hope your placements are proving to be enriching and valuable, this is most certainly the case for me.
Kind regards,
Suzi Petkucevska
No comments:
Post a Comment