Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Getting Results

I have been at my placement for over four months now and I recently had a meeting with my boss to evaluate what I had been able to contribute to the business, and how far my skills had developed. My boss and I sat down and looked at all I had achieved learnt and discussed what else I would like to learn. It was not an overly formal performance appraisal however it was interesting and productive.
The first thing we were able to evaluate was what I had contributed to the organisation. Thus far I succeeded in affiliating a lot more local government agencies to the National Disability Services, Companion Card Program. The local government agencies who are not interested in affiliating also do me the great favour of passing the information on to businesses that they believe may be interested. We were able to review the figures and use this as a mean to evaluate the results I had been able to achieve.
As any PR consultant the role I have is incredibly communicative and I am constantly networking and building up a contacts list. Another thing we were able to evaluate was this contacts list and review which ones were beneficial.
It was a very casual meeting however it was interesting to sit down and take stock. We were able to talk about how I felt in the organisation and where I would like to go. I found the whole process incredibly productive and allowed me to really reflect. I have experienced performance appraisals before however only the retail and hospitality sector. Obviously those performance reviews were a lot more basic and there wasn’t a lot of dialogue between myself and my superior. There was a lot of interaction between us and I really liked the more discursive approach. The performance appraisal was very interesting and I felt as though my first one went really well.

1 comment:

Melinmelbourne said...

Hello Fiona,

Your experience is quite impressive, you seem to have done a lot and I’m glad for you. It is good as well to see that there are still superiors who enable employees to freely express themselves. I can see that your supervisor has helped you to realise the benefit you actually receive from this work experience, and he also values your work – which is crucial to move forward efficiently.

When I had my performance appraisal I was a bit stressed, but I still cannot believe how much I learnt from it. It also made me aware of skills that I never thought I had. To be honest with you, for me this performance appraisal confirmed my choice of master major, and clarified my dream job.

I understood that I love mixing business and communication and I really enjoy leading people. This is why I’m going to start a master in management to be able to manage in communication areas.

It is important to have feedback from your supervisor as it helps you to learn,"A key factor of the development of a learning organisation and organisations in
general is the creation of a well-functioning feedback system"(Torokoff 2004,4).
Do not hesitate to ask to meet with your supervisor to debrief your work. While doing my placement I asked for much feedback on my work. You seem to do a vey good job, which you need to know and hear – so keep asking for feedback as it sounds like you enjoy it.

Good luck for the future.

Melissa

Torokoff,M. 2004. The importance of feedback in the organisation's development process.http://www.emselts.ee/konverentsid/EMS2006/3_Turundus_ja_juhtimine/Made_Torokoff.pdf(accessed June 3, 2010).